Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Water: Wastewater Management Process

Federal Funding Sources for Small Community Wastewater Systems

The following publication entitled, Federal Funding Sources for Small Community Wastewater Systems, is a product of the Small Underserved Communities team in EPA's Office of Wastewater Management, Municipal Support Division. The team's goal is to administer programs through which small, underserved communities can access information, financial resources and technical assistance to achieve adequate and cost effective wastewater systems. The publication contains 10 fact sheets of possible funding sources to help small, rural communities attain adequate wastewater systems. The fact sheets provide information on the types of help each program offers, what projects are funded, who is eligible, and how to reach the program contacts to apply for the funds. To obtain additional copies of the publication, you may contact the National Center for Environmental Publications and Information (NCEPI) at 513-489-8190 or 800-490-9198 and refer to document number EPA 832-F-97-004.

Facts about

Federal Funding Sources for Small Community
Wastewater Systems

Pooled sewage from failing septic systems still plagues countless neighborhoods and small communities across the country. More than a million homes in America still lack basic indoor plumbing, and many communities with fewer than 10,000 people have central wastewater systems that need extensive repair. All these conditions pose serious health and environmental problems for local residents. Among them are communities and tribes throughout the United States, as well as native villages in Alaska and economically disadvantaged areas along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Working together, federal and state agencies, along with the small communities themselves, can go a long way to help meet the wastewater and drinking water needs in these communities--and to promote economic development at the same time. This publication highlights 10 federal programs that help state, tribal, and local officials identify possible funding sources, whom to contact, and how to apply. Although this publication describes some drinking water programs, it focuses mainly on wastewater.

Ten Federal Programs That Help

The federal agencies listed here offer financial and technical assistance to help small communities plan, design, and build water and wastewater systems. Through these federal programs, thousands of rural and isolated communities have vastly improved their systems.

Environmental Protection Agency

1. Clean Water SRF.
2. Drinking Water SRF.

EPA's Office of Water manages two separate but related water programs: the Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund for wastewater facilities and the Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund for drinking water facilities. Each of these federal programs awards grants to states to "seed" revolving loan funds that provide low-interest loans to eligible communities to build wastewater or water facilities. Community loan repayments go back into the state fund to be loaned to other communities.

3. Hardship Grants Program for Rural Communities.

Many disadvantaged rural communities cannot afford the full cost of SRF loans. These communities can seek help through EPA's Hardship Grants program, which helps small, disadvantaged rural communities with fewer than 3,000 people address their wastewater treatment needs.

4. Colonias Program.

This program makes grants to states along the U.S.-Mexico border to provide wastewater facilities to Colonias. Colonias are low-income, unincorporated communities along the U.S. side of the border.

5. Clean Water Indian Set-Aside Program.

EPA and the Department of Health and Human Services Indian Health Service cooperate to help provide wastewater facilities to tribes and Alaska Native villages. A Drinking Water Indian Set-Aside Program is currently being developed, and is not listed in this publication.

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

6. Community Development Block Grant Program.

HUD gives block grants to participating states, which allocate the funds to units of local government that carry out development activities principally for people with low and moderate incomes. Funded activities include wastewater, drinking water, and economic development projects.

Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service (RUS)

7. Water and Waste Disposal Program.

RUS provides grants and loans to rural communities with fewer than 10,000 people for wastewater, drinking water, solid waste, and storm drainage projects.

Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Service (IHS)

8. Sanitation Facilities Construction Program.

This program gives technical and financial assistance for the sanitation needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives, including water, sewer, or solid waste disposal facilities.

Department of Commerce

9. Economic Development Administration Grants for Public Works and Development Facilities.

Fundable projects include water and wastewater facilities that promote economic development in economically distressed areas.

10. Appalachian Regional Commission's Community Development Supplemental Grants Program.

This program funds water and wastewater facilities in 13 states to create jobs and promote private sector initiatives.


State Community Development Block Grant Program
Federal Source U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Type of Help Project Grants.

The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program gives grants directly to states, which then allocate them to small cities and nonurban counties. Grants may be used for community and economic development activities, but are primarily used for housing rehabilitation, public infrastructure projects--e.g., wastewater and drinking water facilities--and economic development. Seventy (70) percent of grant funds must be used for activities that principally benefit low- and moderate-income persons.

What's Funded? States decide funding priorities, and tailor the programs to their own needs.

Generally, fundable projects:

  • benefit low- and moderate-income persons; or
  • help correct or prevent public health and safety problems, slums, or blight.
There are three types of projects:
  • neighborhood revitalization projects that emphasize private housing rehabilitation;
  • economic development projects that can expand employment; and
  • water, sewer, and other public facilities projects that protect public health and reduce environmental risk.
Who's Eligible? Eligibility varies by state. States administer the state CDBG program. HUD administers the Small Cities program only for New York and Hawaii, which elected not to administer the program. States that administer CDBG funds must distribute funds to such eligible recipients as: - villages;
- small towns;
- cities with populations of 50,000 or less;
- nonurban counties; or
- units of general local government that carry out development activities.
How to Apply Contact your state agency. Each state has its own application forms, requirements, and procedures. States must notify localities of opportunities to apply for CDBG funds. Two common methods of notification are:
  • a public notice published in a general circulation newspaper; or
  • a mass mailing to every eligible community in the state.
Program Contacts State or local housing agency:

HUD has approximately 42 offices nationwide. See your local telephone directory. Local officials should contact their state agencies, then the appropriate HUD field agency.

Clearinghouse for more information:
1-800-998-9999, or visit the website below.
Web site: http://www.hud.gov/cpd/cdbg.html Exit EPA Disclaimer

HUD Headquarters office:,
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development,
Community Planning and Development,
Office of Block Grant Assistance,
State and Small Cities Division,
451 7th Street, SW,
Washington, D.C. 20410,

Tel.: 202-708-1322,
Fax: 202-401-2044,


Rural Utilities Service Water and Waste Disposal Program
Federal Source U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Utilities Service.
Type of Help Grants and Loans.

The Water and Waste Disposal (WWD) program provides both loans and grants to rural communities (with 10,000 people or fewer) for drinking water, wastewater, solid waste, and storm drainage projects. RUS also administers the "Water 2000" initiative to bring safe, affordable drinking water to all rural areas by the year 2000. These programs are administered locally by state and area rural development offices.

What's Funded? Almost anything related to getting water, wastewater, and solid waste systems up and running in small municipalities is fundable. For instance, funds may be used to install, repair, improve, or expand rural water or wastewater disposal facilities.

Funding covers such things as:
- construction;
- land acquisition;

- legal fees;
- engineering fees;
- capitalized interest;
- equipment;
- initial operation and maintenance costs;
- project contingencies; and
- related costs for completing the project.
Who's Eligible? Eligible applicants include public bodies and nonprofit organizations such as:
- municipalities;
- counties;
- districts, authorities, and other political subdivisions;
- associations;
- cooperatives;
- nonprofit corporations;
- Indian tribes on federal/state reservations;
- other federally recognized Indian tribes.

To qualify:

  • your project must be located in a rural area or town with 10,000 people or fewer;
  • your community is unable to get credit elsewhere at reasonable rates and terms;
  • your project is economically feasible;
  • you have no outstanding judgment obtained by the United States in Federal Court; and
  • you have the legal authority to construct, operate, and maintain the facility, and can obtain, give security for, and repay the loan.
How to Apply File requests for WWD funds any time of the year at any rural development office in the county, district, or state. Just follow these steps:
  • Fill out the simple form, SF-424, or "Application for Federal Assistance (Construction)" to outline the project and the Federal help needed.
  • Get satisfactory review comments from the appropriate state agency (usually takes about 45 days).
  • Submit supporting documents, as needed.

    Your local rural development office can tell you which state agency covers your project area and what supporting documents are needed.
Program Contacts Regional or local office: Contact your state rural development or rural utilities service county or district office.

Tel.: 202-720-9583

Fax: 202-690-0649

Web site: http://www.usda.gov/rus/water/ Exit EPA Disclaimer

Headquarters office:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Rural Utilities Service
Assistant Administrator
Water and Environmental Programs
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, D.C. 20250


Sanitation Facilities Construction Program
Federal Source U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Indian Health Service.
Type of Help Technical and Financial Assistance.

The Indian Health Service (IHS) Sanitation Facilities Construction (SFC) program keeps an inventory of sanitation needs in American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities for use by IHS and Congress. The SFC program provides funding for projects serving eligible AI/AN homes. It also funds professional engineering services and technical assistance.

The SFC program works cooperatively with tribes and other government agencies to pool funds to meet needs.

Typically, SFC projects are designed to:

  • construct affordable sanitation facilities;
  • provide safe drinking water supplies;
  • provide adequate wastewater disposal; and
  • provide solid waste disposal facilities.
What's Funded? Funded projects usually provide water, sewer, and/or solid waste disposal facilities to AI/AN homes. Funding may go to provide first-time sanitation facilities for new and existing homes. It may also be used to upgrade community water and sewer systems for previously served homes. Approved projects are classified as one of the following:
  • housing support projects, to assist new and like-new rehabilitated Indian housing;
  • regular projects, to serve existing homes and communities; and
  • special/emergency projects, to provide sanitation facilities for special studies and emergency situations (less than 1 percent of available funds).
Who's Eligible? AI/AN tribes, bands, or groups are eligible for SFC funds. With the support and participation of tribal governments, the program benefits more than 550 federally recognized tribes and native groups living in the 33 reservation states. Facilities intended for commercial and industrial purposes are excluded by the program.
How to Apply Contact your respective IHS area office. Sanitation needs inventories are updated annually in consultation with tribes. Specific projects are funded based on requests from individual tribes and on inventory data.
Program Contacts Regional or local office: Contact your nearest IHS area office located in:
Billings, Mont. 406-657-6451
Portland, Ore. 503-326-2001
Phoenix, Ariz. 602-640-2038
Aberdeen, S.D. 605-226-7451
Anchorage, Alaska 907-729-3509
Albuquerque, N.M. 505-248-4596
Bemidji, Minn. 218-759-3393
Sacramento, Calif. 916-566-7001
Oneida, N.Y. 305-682-3167
Window Rock, Ariz. 602-871-5851
Oklahoma City, Okla. 405-951-3782
Tucson, Ariz. 520-295-2580
Headquarters office:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Indian Health Service, HQE, DFEE
12300 Twinbrook Parkway, Rm 610
Rockville, MD 20852


Economic Development Grants for Public Works and Development Facilities
Federal Source U.S. Department of Commerce.
Type of Help Project Grants.

The Economic Development Administration (EDA) provides grants to economically distressed areas for public works projects, including water and wastewater facilities.

Projects must:
  • promote economic development;
  • create long-term jobs; and/or
  • benefit low-income persons or the long-term unemployed.
What's Funded? Projects must fulfill a pressing need of the area, e.g.,
  • help establish or expand industrial or commercial plants or facilities;
  • help create additional long-term employment opportunities; and
  • benefit the long-term unemployed/underemployed and those with low incomes.
They must:
  • have an adequate share of local funds;
  • evidence firm commitment and availability of matching funds;
  • be capable of being started and completed in a timely manner; and
  • be consistent with the Overall Economic Development Program (OEDP) for the area.
Who's Eligible? Those eligible to receive grants include:
  • states, cities, counties, and other political subdivisions;
  • Indian tribes;
  • the Federated States of Micronesia;
  • the Republic of the Marshall Islands;
  • commonwealths and territories of the United States; and
  • private or public nonprofit organizations or associations representing a redevelopment area or a designated economic development center.

Corporations and associations organized for profit are not eligible.

How to Apply Complete the following steps:
  • Call the economic development representative (EDR) at your state or regional EDA office.
  • Fill out a brief proposal form obtained from the EDR, profiling your proposed project and the assistance needed.
  • Await EDR review of project. Eligible projects go before a project review committee at the EDA regional office.
  • If invited to apply, submit a formal application within 30 days.

    Following a regional office compliance and feasibility review, the regional director will notify you of any award. Review of processable applications usually takes 30 days. Award decisions usually occur within 60 days after applications are received. Incomplete applications are returned.
Program Contacts Regional or local office:

Refer to your local telephone directory for the Economic Development Administration state or regional offices in your area. Telephone numbers are listed below:

Philadelphia, Pa.   215-597-1072/
Atlanta, Ga.        404-730-3012
Denver, Colo.       303-844-5452/
Seattle, Wash.      206-220-7702
Austin, Tex.        412-916-5824/
Chicago, Ill.       312-353-8143
Headquarters office: U.S. Department of Commerce,
Economic Development Administration,
Director, Public Works Division,
Herbert C. Hoover Building,
Room H7326,
Washington, D.C. 20230,

Tel.: 202-482-5265
Fax: 202-482-3742

Internet or e-mail: Mcilwain@doe.gov


Clean Water State Revolving Fund Program
Federal Source U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Type of Help Federal formula grants to states; loans made by states to eligible parties.

EPA's Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF) program provides grants to states (and Puerto Rico) to capitalize state loan funds. States provide a 20-percent match. Each state SRF then makes low-interest loans to communities, individuals, and others for high-priority water-quality management activities. As money is paid back into the revolving fund, new loans are made to help others maintain their water quality.

This federal-state partnership gives states the flexibility to fund their highest priority projects to improve water quality.

What's Funded? SRF loan funds may be used to improve watershed quality through a wide range of projects. Loans may also be used to protect groundwater resources. While traditionally used to build or improve wastewater treatment plants, loans are increasingly being used for:
  • agricultural, rural, and urban runoff control;
  • estuary improvement practices;
  • wet-weather flow control, including storm water and combined sewer overflows; and
  • alternative treatment technologies.

To receive funding, a project must be included in a state's intended use plan, in which the state outlines the projects to be funded.

Who's Eligible? The SRF program is managed largely by the states; therefore, project eligibility varies according to each state's program, priorities, and practices. Eligible loan recipients may include: - local governments;
- communities;
- nonprofits;
- individuals;
- citizens' groups; and
- others.
How to Apply Each state has its own application procedures. Potential projects must meet Clean Water Act and state requirements to be eligible. Interested parties should contact the SRF coordinator in their state. Local officials and citizens are encouraged to communicate their needs to their state SRF coordinators to get projects considered for funding.
Program Contacts State SRF program:

For an SRF program representative in your state, call the telephone number, or contact the e-mail address or web site below.
Tel.: 202-260-2268
Fax: 202-260-1827
E-mail: comments.web@epa.gov
Web site: http://www.epa.gov/owm/cwfinance/cwsrf/contacts.htm
(list of state SRF contacts); or
(for more information about the Clean Water SRF)

EPA Headquarters:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
Clean Water State Revolving Fund Branch,
(Mail Code 4204),
401 M Street, SW,
Washington, D.C. 20460


Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Program
Federal Source U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Type of Help Federal Formula Grants to States, Loans, Technical Assistance.

EPA's Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF) program provides states with grants to capitalize their loan funds. States provide a 20-percent match. Each state then gives loans or technical assistance to communities, individuals, and others for high-priority projects designed to meet Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) requirements and protect public health.

Many states have finalized their programs and are expecting to receive their capitalization grants. The deadline to apply for 1997 funds is September 30, 1998.
What's Funded? Fundable projects must first appear on a state's priority list as part of its intended use plan. While it is largely up to states to identify and rank these projects, guiding principles should include SDWA compliance, public health protection, and drinking water affordability--all major DWSRF goals.

Eligible activities, under federal guidelines, are:

  • projects to consolidate water supplies or restructure systems;
  • planning and design costs; and
  • projects to replace or upgrade aging infrastructure.

Any system receiving a loan must also show it has the technical, financial, and management capacity to operate over the long term.

Who's Eligible? Eligible systems are publicly or privately owned community water systems and nonprofit noncommunity water systems. States must use at least 15 percent of their DWSRF funding pool for loans to systems serving fewer than 10,000 people.

Smaller, more financially strapped systems, such as mobile home parks or homeowners associations,

may find it difficult to qualify for SRF loans. Therefore,
  • states can use up to 30 percent of their capitalization grant for that year to provide loan subsidies to "disadvantaged" communities, which they define; and
  • states can also set aside up to 2 percent of the grant for technical assistance to small communities.
How to Apply Contact the DWSRF coordinator in your state to learn more about program requirements and application procedures.

To apply for a DWSRF program grant, states must submit EPA's standard application for non-construction grant

assistance (SF-424). To allow adequate EPA review time, states should submit grant applications at least 90 days before the end of the period of funds availability. States applying after this date run the risk of losing funds because of reallotment provisions.
Program Contacts State SRF program:

For an SRF program representative in your state, call the telephone number or visit the web site below.
Tel.: 202-260-5557
Fax: 202-260-0732
Web site: http://www.epa.gov/owm/cwfinance/cwsrf/contacts.htm
(list of state SRF contacts)

EPA Headquarters:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
Office of Groundwater and Drinking Water,
(Mail Code 4606),
401 M Street, SW,
Washington, D.C. 20460,
National Drinking Water Clearinghouse:,


Hardship Grants Program for Rural Communities
Federal Source U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Type of Help Formula Grants.

EPA developed the Hardship Grants program to help small, disadvantaged rural communities address their wastewater treatment needs. States identify eligible projects and may commit a portion of their grants for technical assistance. Designed to complement the CWSRF loan program, this new program will distribute funds based on:

  • the number of rural communities lacking access to centralized water treatment; and
  • the rural per capita income in each state.

EPA will award grants from a $50 million funding pool to the states, Puerto Rico, and U.S. territories. They, in turn, will provide hardship assistance to small communities.

What's Funded? EPA guidelines encourage states to assist rural communities by supplementing CWSRF loans with hardship grant assistance. Fundable projects for qualifying communities include:
  • the planning, design, and construction of publicly owned treatment works; or
  • the planning, design, and construction of alternative wastewater services, such as on-site treatment systems--including septic.

States may also use hardship assistance to provide training, technical assistance, and educational programs on the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment systems.

Who's Eligible? Any rural community with fewer than 3,000 residents can qualify for hardship assistance from its state program, if the following conditions are met:
  • the community is rural;
  • the community has no access to centralized wastewater treatment or collection systems, or needs improvements to on-site wastewater treatment systems;
  • the proposed project will improve public health or reduce environmental risk;
  • the community's per capita income rate is less than 80 percent of the national average; and
  • the community's unemployment rate exceeds the national average by one percentage point or more.
How to Apply Communities should first apply for Clean Water SRF funding for their projects. Those that meet the criteria for the hardship grants program could receive a combination SRF loan and hardship grant. To apply for assistance under the hardship grants program, your community will need to contact your state hardship grants program representative to obtain:
  • State-specific and national hardship grants program guidelines;
  • application information for the Clean Water SRF and hardship grants programs; and
  • information about how the proposed project may be added to your state's Clean Water SRF intended use plan.
Program Contacts State Hardship Grants Program:
Tel.: 202-260-2268 (recording to order program guidelines or obtain state contacts)
Fax: 202-260-1827

Regional or local office:

For the name and phone number of the hardship grants coordinator in your state, contact the e-mail address or visit the web site below.


Website: http://www.epa.gov/owm

Headquarters office:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Clean Water State Revolving Fund Branch
(Mail Code 4204)
401 M Street, SW
Washington, D.C. 20460


Clean Water Act Indian Set-Aside Grant Program (Wastewater)
Federal Source U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Type ofHelp Grants.

The Clean Water Indian Set-Aside Grant program is designed to assist Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages in planning, designing, and building wastewater systems. EPA

and the Indian Health Service (IHS) are working together to administer the program. This partnership makes the most out of the technical resources of both agencies.

What's Funded? This Indian Set-Aside program uses the IHS Sanitation Deficiency System (SDS) to identify priority wastewater projects for EPA grant funding. Grants cover most of the costs of planning, designing, and building a wastewater treatment system. Grants pay up to 100 percent of costs, with no matching funds required. Eligible project components include:

- interceptor sewers;
- wastewater treatment facilities;
- infiltration/inflow correction;
- collector sewers;
- major sewer system rehabilitation; and
- correction of combined sewer overflow.

Grants can pay for land that will be an integral part of the treatment process or ultimately used for disposing of treatment residues. Grant funds may not be used to operate and maintain the wastewater facility.

Who's Eligible? Eligible recipients of Clean Water Indian Set-Aside grants include:
  • federally recognized Indian tribes with control over reservation lands;
  • Alaska Native villages; and
  • tribes on former reservations in Oklahoma.
How to Apply To be considered for EPA funding, tribes must first have their wastewater treatment needs included in the IHS SDS. Contact your IHS area office at least 1 year ahead of the year the SDS list is due out. EPA will notify the tribe--usually between February and May of the fiscal year--if its project has been selected for funding.

All necessary application information may be found in the EPA 1989 Guidelines and Requirements for Applying for Grants from the Indian Set-Aside Program document and in its 1995 Addendum. Contact the EPA regional or IHS area office serving your tribal area for help in filling out forms and in clarifying project requirements.

Note: A companion Indian set-aside program for drinking water is currently under development. You may contact your regional coordinator for more information.

Program Contacts Regional or local office:

The name and phone number of your Regional Indian Set-Aside Coordinator is listed below.

EPA Region I
(Conn., Maine, Mass., N.H., R.I. Vt.)
Debbie Kerr: 617-565-4886

EPA Region II
(N.J., N.Y.)
Muhammad Hatim: 212-637-3855

EPA Region IV
(Ala., Ga., Fla., Miss., N.C., S.C., Tenn., Ky.)
Walter Hunter: 404-562-9477

EPA Region V
(Ill., Ind., Ohio, Mich., Minn., Wis.)
Charles Pycha: 312-886-0259

EPA Region VI
(Ariz., La., Okla., Tex., N.M.)
Gene Wossum: 214-665-7173

EPA Region VII
(Iowa, Kans., Mo., Nebr.)
Gerald Gutekunst: 913-551-7484

(Colo., Utah, Wyo., Mont., N.D., S.D.)
Terry Griffith: 303-312-6153

EPA Region IX
(Ariz., Calif., Nev.)
Loretta Vanegas: 415-744-1946

EPA Region X
(Alaska, Idaho, Oreg., Wash.)
Judy Fey: 206-553-1302

Headquarters office:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
Office of Wastewater Management,
(Mail Code 4204),
401 M Street, SW,
Washington, D.C. 20460,

Tel.: 202-260-7255
Fax: 202-260-0116
Web site: http://www.epa.gov/owm/mab/indian/cwisa.htm


Colonias Wastewater Assistance Program
Federal Source U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Note: Two other federal programs have set-aside funding for colonias assistance, including water and wastewater facilities. Please refer to the specific program descriptions found in this brochure for:

  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development--Community Development Block Grant Program
  • U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Utilities Service--Water and Waste Disposal Program.
Type of Help Grants, Loans, Technical Assistance, and Studies.

The Colonias Wastewater Assistance program provides grants to states along the U.S.-Mexico border to design and build wastewater treatment facilities for "colonias." These are low-income, unincorporated border communities

that lack such basic necessities as paved roads, safe drinking water facilities, or wastewater sanitation.

Individual states administer these programs and match EPA funds.

To date, funds have been provided only to Texas and New Mexico.

What's Funded? The Colonias program funds:
  • wastewater facility planning, design, and construction for colonias located within 62 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border;
  • indoor plumbing improvements; and
  • household connections to water and sewer facilities for low-income residents.
Who's Eligible? To be eligible for colonia assistance, communities must:
  • be located in Texas or New Mexico, within 62 miles of the Mexico border;
  • meet income and other economic criteria established by the state;
  • be unincorporated;
  • exist before the adoption of colonia land use legislation; and
  • lack basic services, such as water, sanitation, roads, and code-approved housing.
How to Apply If your community is interested in funding, please contact the state agency below that is responsible for administering the program in your state:

New Mexico Environment Department
Haywood Martin

Texas Water Development Board
Fernando Escarcega
Web site: www.twdb.state.tx.us Exit EPA Disclaimer
Program Contacts For general program information, call or write: EPA Regional Office:
EPA Region VI
1445 Ross Avenue, Suite 1200
Dallas, Texas 75202-2733


Headquarters office:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
Office of Wastewater Management,
(Mail Code 4204),
401 M Street, SW,
Washington, D.C. 20460,

Tel.: 202-260-5841
Fax: 202-260-0116


Appalachian Supplements to Federal Grant-in-Aid (Community Development Supplemental Grants)
Federal Source Appalachian Regional Commission.
Type of Help Project Grants.

The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) offers grants in designated Appalachian regions within the following 13 States: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

The grants are intended to create jobs and promote private sector initiative by funding water and sewer facilities. Assistance is limited to 50 percent of total project costs, except for distressed counties, where the limit is 80 percent.

What's Funded? To be eligible for this funding, projects must:
  • be of high priority in the state's Appalachian development plan;
  • be related to economic or community development; or
  • address residential needs in extremely poor counties.
Appalachian grants may be used to provide supplemental funds under any federal grant-in-aid program authorized on or before December 31, 1980. Eligible projects include improvements to water and wastewater facilities.

ARC can provide supplemental grants in 94 designated distressed counties to help meet local match requirements for federal funding.

Who's Eligible? Eligible applicants include private and nonprofit agencies, states, and their subdivisions and instrumentalities that need funding for water and sewer facilities.
How to Apply To apply, applicants should:
  • Obtain an application form from the federal agency sponsoring the grant-in-aid program being assisted. The form is required by OMB Circular No. A-102.
  • Submit the application to the state member of the ARC for approval. Include a transmittal letter signed by the state member, and an executed ARC Form 1.
All proposed projects must meet requirements of the State Appalachian Plan submitted annually by November 15. Guidelines and forms for funding Appalachian development projects are available from the local development district director and the State Alternate's Office.
Program Contacts State office:

See your local telephone directory for your Appalachian State office, or visit the website below.

Web site: http://www.arc.gov Exit EPA Disclaimer

Headquarters office:
Appalachian Regional Commission
Executive Director
1666 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20235

Tel.: 202-884-7700
Fax: 202-884-7691


Jump to main content.