Water: Marine Debris
Turning the Tide on Trash: Marine Debris Curriculum
A Learning Guide on Marine Debris
This document, which was originally published in 1992, is not accessible for the visually impaired. If you need assistance accessing this document, please contact us.
About PDF Files...Many of the documents listed on this site are PDF files. Viewing a PDF file requires use of Adobe's free Acrobat Reader software. *EPA's PDF page provides information on downloading the software.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Cover page (PDF) (2 pp., 419K)
- Introduction (PDF) (10 pp., 700K)
- This chapter presents an overview to the document, a "How to use...," section, matrices of activities by learning skill and by subject, and a litter survey called "Let's Talk Trash." Each unit has several activities included, each with a subject activity, an objective, vocabulary list, materials needed, learning skills to be developed by the activity, and an estimated time to complete the activity.
- Unit1 (PDF) (30 pp., 9.2MB)
- This unit contains the definitions, characteristics, sources of marine debris, and ways to reduce or prevent marine debris.
- Unit 2 (PDF) (13 pp., 4.9MB)
- Unit 2 covers the effects of marine debris, including impacts on marine organisms, coastal areas, and human health.
- Unit 3 (PDF) ( 24 pp., 10.7MB)
- Unit 3 provides information on developing solutions and spreading the word. The scope of this unit starts with worldwide efforts to prevent and reduce marine debris. It then progresses to national and local projects for both teacher and class participation.
- Appendix A Glossary (PDF) (3 pp., 146K)
- Glossary of terms used in the activities.
- Appendix B Resources (PDF) (7 pp., 3.3MB)
- Addresses and phone numbers of organizations where educators can obtain further informatioon.
- Appendix C Clip Art (PDF) (5 pp., 571K)
- Text and drawings of marine organisms and marine debris for use by the teacher and student.
Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds
Oceans and Coastal Protection Division