Water: National Coastal Condition Report
National Coastal Condition Report (2001) Download Site
Coastal Research and Monitoring Strategy (PDF, 1.1MB, 70 pages)About PDF files
The Office of Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds, Coastal Programs, announces the release of the National Coastal Condition Report. This Report is the first federal effort to provide a comprehensive picture of the health of the nation's coastal waters.
This Report initiates a series describing the ecological and environmental conditions in U.S. coastal waters. It summarizes the condition of ecological resources in the estuaries of the United States and highlights several exemplary Federal, State, Tribal, and local programs that assess coastal ecological and water quality conditions.
This Report is based on data collected from a variety of Federal, State, and local sources and rates the overall condition of U.S. coastal waters as fair to poor, varying from region to region. It represents a coordinated effort among EPA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the U.S. Geological Survey, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and coastal States.
The resulting ecological assessment of the nation's estuaries shows estuaries to be in fair condition, varying from poor conditions in the Northeast and Puerto Rico to fair conditions in the Southeast, Gulf of Mexico, Great Lakes and West Coast.
Use the links in the table below to download the individual chapters.
(Note: If your browser is opening the files instead of downloading them, right click on the link with your mouse and choose "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" from the pop-up menu.)
Table of Contents
- Report Cover & Table of Contents (PDF format, 4.5MB)
- List of Acronyms (PDF format, 417KB)
- Executive Summary (PDF format, 3.4MB)
- Introduction (PDF format, 7.5MB)
- National Coastal Condition (PDF format, 16.9MB)
- Northeast Coastal Condition (PDF format, 16.2MB)
- Southeast Coastal Condition (PDF format, 13.1MB)
- Gulf of Mexico Coastal Condition (PDF format, 17.2MB)
- West Coastal Condition (PDF format, 8.3MB)
- Great Lakes Coastal Condition (PDF format, 7.9MB)
- Alaska, Hawaii and Island Territories Coastal Condition (PDF format, 7.2MB)
- The Future -- A National Strategy (PDF format, 10.1MB)
- References (PDF format, 1.8MB)