Seafood Processing Effluent Guidelines
Notice of Data Availability - Comment period extended to March 7, 2014
EPA promulgated the Seafood Processing effluent guidelines and standards (40 CFR Part 408) in 1974 and 1975. The regulation covers wastewater discharges from facilities that preserve and can seafood. The Seafood Processing effluent guidelines and standards are incorporated into NPDES permits.
What is Seafood Processing?
Seafood preserving and canning facilities receive raw or frozen seafood from harvesting operations (e.g. fishing, trapping, netting). The facilities prepare the seafood products by butchering and cleaning. Prior to packaging, the seafood may be preserved typically by curing, cooking , or freezing. Wastewater may be generated from each stage in the process.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
These activities are included within North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) codes 311711, Seafood Canning, and 311712, Fresh and Frozen Seafood Processing. (Note: the NAICS group listing is provided as a guide and does not define the coverage of the Seafood Processing regulations. For precise definitions of coverage, see the applicability sections in 40 CFR Part 408.)
The Seafood Processing effluent guidelines apply to preserving and canning facilities in 33 subcategories:
- Alaskan Seafood Processing – Notice of Data Availability (November 7, 2013)
EPA has published information it gathered recently from seafood processing facilities in Alaska and other publicly available sources. The Agency is accepting comments on these data through March 7, 2014.
- 1974 Rulemaking – Phase I
Established BPT, BAT, NSPS and PSNS requirements for Subparts A - N
- Final Rule: 39 FR 23134, June 26, 1974 (PDF) (23 pp, 3MB)
- Development Document (PDF) (402 pp, 14MB) (EPA-440/1-74-020a, June 1974)
- Proposed Rule: 39 FR 4708, February 6, 1974 (PDF) (21 pp, 3MB)
- 1975 Rulemaking – Phase II
Established requirements for Subparts O-AG
- Final Rule: 40 FR 55770, December 1, 1975 (PDF) (32 pp, 5MB)
- Interim Final Rule: 40 FR 4582, January 30, 1975 (PDF) (26 pp, 4MB)
- Proposed Rule: 40 FR 4608, January 30, 1975 (PDF) (12 pp, 2MB)
For additional information regarding Seafood Processing Effluent Guidelines, please contact Meghan Hessenauer, email@example.com or 202-566-1040.