Water: Metals & Machinery
Effluent Guidelines: Metal Products and Machinery
The Metal Products and Machinery (MP&M) regulation establishes national technology-based limits on pollutants in wastewater discharges from facilities that manufacture, rebuild or maintain metal parts, products, or machines.
Effective June 12, 2003, EPA published final regulations establishing Clean Water Act (CWA) technology-based effluent limitations guidelines for the metal products and machinery (MP&M) point source category. The metal products and machinery point source category includes facilities that manufacture, rebuild, or maintain metal products, parts, or machines. EPA is promulgating limitations and standards only for facilities that directly discharge wastewaters from oily operations in the Oily Wastes subcategory.
EPA expects compliance with this regulation to reduce the discharge of conventional pollutants by approximately 500,000 pounds per year. EPA estimates the annual cost of the rule will be $13.8 million (pre-tax $2001). EPA estimates that the annual benefits of the rule to be approximately $1.5 million ($2001).
- Final Rule published in the Federal Register | Print version (61 pp, 367K) (May 13, 2003)
- Press Release (February 14, 2003)
- Summary of the final rule: fact sheet
- Development Document - Engineering methodology and technical conclusions.
- Economic, Environmental, and Benefits Analysis - Methodology for assessing economic impacts of the final rule and comparison with environmental impacts.
- Biennial plan and schedule to consider developing and revising effluent guidelines
- Agency MP&M Contacts
- Related Links
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
- Notice of Data Availability published in the Federal Register (June 5, 2002)
- Briefing package (PDF) (72 pp, 260K) from the May 21, 2002 public meeting in Chicago, IL
- Extension of Comment Period published in the Federal Register (April 27, 2001)
- Proposed Rule published in the Federal Register (January 3, 2001)
- Development Document (PDF) (647 pp, 4 MB)
- Statistical Support Document (PDF) (153 pp, 703K)
- Economic, Environmental, and Benefits Analysis (PDF) (511 pp, 18MB). Please note: This document is missing chapter 11.
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis (PDF) (28 pp, 954K)
- Documents Related to 1995 Proposal