Construction and Development
EPA promulgated the Construction and Development Effluent Guidelines and Standards (40 CFR Part 450) in 2009 and amended the regulations in 2014. The regulations cover stormwater discharges from construction sites.
The regulations apply to all construction sites that are subject to NPDES permit requirements (generally, sites with one or more acres of land disturbance).
Construction site owners and operators are required to:
- implement erosion and sediment controls;
- stabilize soils;
- manage dewatering activities;
- implement pollution prevention measures;
- provide and maintain buffers around surface waters;
- prohibit certain discharges, such as motor fuel and concrete washout; and
- utilize surface outlets for discharges from basins and impoundments.
Final Rule - 2014
The 2014 rule provides clarifications on applicability; flexibility for permitting authorities to implement some of the rule requirements and for permittee compliance; and clarifies the requirement for permittees to provide and maintain buffers around many surface waters at construction sites, to reduce downstream siltation and flooding.
- Correcting Amendment: 80 FR 25235, 5/4/2015 (PDF) (2 pp, 198K)
The amendatory instructions that EPA provided in the 2014 final rule for the changes at 40 CFR 450.22 (a) and (b) were incorrect. The May 4, 2015 action provides corrected amendatory instructions so that the 2014 amendments can be incorporated into the CFR.
- Final Rule: 79 FR 12661, 3/6/2014 (PDF) (7 pp, 240K)
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 44K) (EPA-820-F-14-001; February 2014)
- Documents related to this rulemaking can be found at EPA’s on-line docket at regulations.gov. The Docket Number is EPA–HQ–OW–2010–0884.
- Proposed Rule: 78 FR 19434, 4/1/2013 (PDF) (9 pp, 256K)
- Notice; Solicitation of Data: 77 FR 112, 1/3/2012 (PDF) (12 pp, 200K)
- Notice of Stay: 75 FR 68215, 11/5/2010 (PDF) (3 pp, 60K)
- 2009 Rule
- Correction notice: 75 FR 10438, 3/8/2010 (PDF) (2 pp, 4K)
- Final Rule: 74 FR 62996, 12/1/2009 (PDF) (64 pp, 354K)
- Development Document (EPA–821–R–09–010; November 2009)
- Economic Analysis (PDF) (333 pp, 4.6MB) (EPA-821-R-09-011, November 2009)
- Environmental Impact and Benefits Assessment (PDF) (374 pp, 4.5MB) (EPA-821-R-09-012, November 2009)
- 2008 Proposed Rule: 73 FR 72562, 11/28/2008 (PDF) (54 pp, 681K)
- 2004 Notice; Withdrawal of 2002 proposal: 69 FR 22472, 4/26/2004 (PDF) (12 pp, 75K)
- 2002 Proposed Rule: 67 FR 42643, 6/24/2002 (PDF) (44 pp, 287K)
For additional information regarding Construction and Development Effluent Guidelines, please contact Jesse Pritts, email@example.com or 202-566-1038.