Effluent Guidelines Plan (Clean Water Act section 304(m))
Final 2012 and Preliminary 2014 Effluent Guidelines Program Plan
EPA is publishing its Final 2012 and Preliminary 2014 Effluent Guidelines Program Plan for review and comment by the public. EPA is requesting public review and comment on the Preliminary 2014 Plan. The Plans announce both final decisions EPA is making on the control of industrial wastewater discharges, along with proposed new actions for the future. The public comment period on the Preliminary 2014 Plan will last for 60 days from publication date. Once public review and comment has been completed, EPA will prepare and publish the Final 2014 Plan.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Clean Water Act section 304(m) directs EPA to develop a plan for the issuance of new regulations, or revision of existing regulations, for categories of industrial wastewater discharges. On a biennial cycle, EPA publishes a preliminary plan for public comment and then a final plan. EPA is publishing both the Final 2012 Plan with the Preliminary 2014 Plan in order to help get back on schedule with its biennial planning cycle.
- Fact Sheet about the Plans (PDF) (2 pg, 45K) (September 2014)
- Federal Register Notice | Print Version (PDF) (3 pp, 125K) (September 16, 2014)
- Final 2012 and Preliminary 2014 Plan (PDF) (53 pp, 925K)
EPA is requesting public comment on the Preliminary Plan. Comments must be received no later than November 17, 2014. Please see the Federal Register notice for instructions on submitting comments.
All supporting materials for the Final 2012 Plan can be found in Docket EPA-HQ-OW-2010-0824. All supporting materials for the Preliminary 2014 Plan can be found in Docket EPA-HQ-OW-2014-0170.
- 2012 Annual Review Report (PDF) (246 pp, 3MB, respectively) (September 2014, EPA-821-R-14-004)
- 2012 Appendices (PDF) (20 pp, 422K)
- 2013 Annual Review Report (PDF) (169 pp, 2MB, respectively) (September 2014, EPA-821-R-14-003)
- 2013 Appendices (PDF) (241 pp, 3.3MB)
- 2012 Users Guide to the 304(m) Plan Docket (PDF) (17 pp, 569K)
- 2013 Users Guide to the 304(m) Plan Docket (coming soon)
- Regulations.gov Docket (EPA-HQ-OW-2010-0824 and EPA-HQ-OW-2014-0170)
Effluent Guidelines Rulemakings Underway
For additional information, please contact Bill Swietlik (email@example.com), Program Manager, at 202-566-1129.
Past Effluent Guidelines Program Plans
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
|Year||Preliminary Plan||Final Plan|
|2012||August 7, 2013 (78 FR 48159)|
|2010||December 28, 2009 (74 FR 68599)||October 26, 2011 (76 FR 66286)|
|2008||October 30, 2007 (72 FR 61335)||September 15, 2008 (73 FR 53218)|
|2006||August 29, 2005 (70 FR 51042)||December 21, 2006 (71 FR 76644)|
|2004||December 31, 2003 (68 FR 75515)||September 2, 2004 (69 FR 53705)|
|2002||June 18, 2002 (67 FR 41417)||August 27, 2002 (67 FR 55012)|
|2000||June 16, 2000 (65 FR 37783)||August 31, 2000 (65 FR 53008)|
|1998||May 28, 1998 (63 FR 29203)||September 4, 1998 (63 FR 47285)|
|1996||July 3, 1996 (61 FR 35041)||October 7, 1996 (61 FR 52581)|
|1994||May 18, 1994 (59 FR 25859)||August 26, 1994 (59 FR 44234)|
|1992||May 7, 1992 (57 FR 19748)||September 8, 1992 (57 FR 41000)|
|1990||August 25, 1988 (53 FR 32584)||January 2, 1990 (55 FR 80)|
Clean Water Act §304(m)
Sec. 304. Information and Guidelines.
(m) Schedule for Review of Guidelines. —
- (1) Publication. — Within 12 months after the date of the enactment of the Water Quality Act of 1987, and biennially thereafter, the Administrator shall publish in the Federal Register a plan which shall
- (A) establish a schedule for the annual review and revision of promulgated effluent guidelines, in accordance with subsection (b) of this section,
(B) identify categories of sources discharging toxic or nonconventional pollutants for which guidelines under subsection (b)(2) of this section and section 306 have not previously been published; and
(C) establish a schedule for promulgation of effluent guidelines for categories identified in subparagraph (B) under which promulgation of such guidelines shall be no later than 4 years after such date of enactment for categories identified in the first published plan or 3 years after the publication of the plan for categories identified in later published plans.
- (2) Public Review. — The Administrator shall provide for public review and comment on the plan prior to final publication.