Water: State, Tribal & Territorial Standards
Repository of Documents: North Carolina
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more."
- Sections .0100-.0300, Classifications and Water Quality Standards Applicable to Surface Waters and Wetlands of North Carolina (PDF) (145 pp, 931K)
- (Effective November 26, 2007) Section .0100 contains the procedures for assignment of water quality standards. Section .0200 contains the classifications and water quality standards applicable to surface waters and wetlands of North Carolina. Section .0300 addresses the assignment of stream classifications.
- Sections .0302-.0317, Designated Uses for Waters of the State by Major River Basin (PDF) (32 pp, 175K)
- (Effective March 12, 2015) Waterbody classifications for state waters within North Carolina’s 16 major river basins.
- North Carolina's Compilation of State and EPA Criteria and Concentrations of Priority Pollutants (PDF) (13 pp, 122K)
- Please note that this document has not been approved by for CWA purposes, and is being provided as additional information.
- Thermal (Temperature) Variances to North Carolina Water Quality Standards (PDF) (1 pg, 10K)
- (Effective April 23, 2006) Information detailing variances from water quality standards for dischargers to North Carolina surface waters.
- Federal Regulations, 40 CFR 131.41
- (Effective December 16, 2004) Federal regulations establishing bacteria criteria for coastal and Great Lakes waters. This regulation is also known as the Beach Rule.