Aquatic Life Criteria - Selenium
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has released a technical report describing the results from testing the toxicity of selenium to juvenile bluegill sunfish under winter temperature conditions. We are also providing references for data we've obtained since 2004.
- Fact Sheet
- Technical Report: Effect of Selenium on Juvenile Bluegill Sunfish at Reduced Temperature (PDF) (63 pp, 388K; EPA 822-R-08-020)
- References: Selenium Chronic Toxicity Data Obtained Since 2004
- Federal Register Notice (October 27, 2008)
Scientific data or views relevant to any of this new information may be submitted for 30 days following publication.
We published a draft ambient water quality criterion for selenium. The criteria recommendations are intended to protect aquatic life under the Clean Water Act. They incorporate the latest scientific information available to the Agency and reflect a new and improved approach to measuring this bioaccumulative pollutant in the aquatic environment.
- Press Advisory
- Fact Sheet: background information, criteria concentrations
- Frequent Questions
- Federal Register Notice (December 17, 2004)
- Complete draft document including appendicies and references (PDF) (334 pp, 872K; EPA 822-D-04-001)
- Main text only (no appendices or references) (PDF) (90 pp, 271K)
- Regulations.gov docket (EPA-HQ-OW-2004-0019)