Water: Fish Advisories
Fish Consumption Advisories
Fish are a lean, low-calorie source of protein. However, some fish may contain chemicals that could pose health risks. When contaminant levels are unsafe, consumption advisories may recommend that people limit or avoid eating certain species of fish caught in certain places.
Every year since 1993, the EPA has made available to the public a compendium of information on locally issued fish advisories and safe eating guidelines. This information is provided to EPA by states, U.S. territories, Indian tribes, and local governments who issue fish consumption advisories and safe eating guidelines to inform people about the recommended level of consumption for fish caught in local waters.
EPA and FDA Advice about Eating Fish: Availability of Draft Update - EPA and FDA have released for review and comment an update to the 2004 advice contained in their jointly released document entitled “What You Need to Know about Mercury in Fish and Shellfish.” The proposed update makes the advice consistent with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. The update also contains additional information for those who want to understand the advice in greater detail.
- News Release (June 9, 2014)
- Federal Register Notice of Availability (June 11, 2014)
- To submit comments to the docket, go to www.regulations.gov and enter docket number FDA-2014-N-0595
- Fish: What Pregnant Women and Parents Should Know – draft advice on fish consumption, and supplemental questions and answers about the draft advice
- FDA Table of Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish
Learn about fish advisories
- Healthy Eating of the Fish You Catch
- Advisories Where You Live
- Joint Federal Advisory for Mercury in Fish
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
View data and scientific information on fish advisories
- Fish Consumption Rates Analysis
- 2014 National Forum on Contaminants in Fish
- Trends in Blood Mercury Concentrations and Fish Consumption Report
- Search for Fish Advisories and Fish Tissue Data
- Fish Advisory Newsletter
- National Listing of Fish Advisories Factsheet
- Fish Forum
- Contacts and Related Links