Water: CWA Methods
Recent Regulatory Changes
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Final Decision on Alternative Oil and Grease Method
The final decision on an alternative oil and grease method was published on March 6, 2013.
- Fact sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 47K) (March 2013)
- Federal Register Notice | Print Version (PDF) (5 pp, 236K) (March 6, 2013)
The final Methods Update Rule was published on May 18, 2012.
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 28K)
- Final Rule (Federal Register Notice) | Print Version (PDF) (89 pp, 1.1MB) (May 18, 2012)
The proposed rule was originally open for public comments through November 22, 2010. The Agency received several requests for additional time to submit comments. EPA extended the comment period for an additional 30 days, and the comment period closed December 22, 2010.
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pp, 396K; December 2011)
- Federal Register Notice | Print Version (PDF) (6 pp, 167K; December 14, 2011)
- Federal Register Notice | Print Version (PDF) (2 pp, 54K; November 18, 2010)
- Federal Register Notice | Print Version (PDF) (54 pp, 457K; September 23, 2010)
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pp, 32K; July 2010, 820-F-10-004)
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
On March 12, 2007, EPA promulgated changes to the list of Clean Water Act methods at 40 CRF Part 136.3. This final rule added new methods to the list of sampling and analysis procedures and revised and withdrew other methods.
- Methods Update Rule; 72 FR 11199 (March 12, 2007) | Print Version (PDF) (51 pp, 2.3MB)
- Fact Sheet (July 2006)
- Question and Answers (May 2007)
On March 26, 2007, EPA promulgated new analytical methods for measurement of biological pollutants in wastewater and sewage sludge also at 40 CFR Part 136.3. The new methods include culture-based approaches to detect enterococci and Escherichia coli (E. coli) in wastewater, and tests to identify Salmonella and fecal coliform bacteria in sewage sludge.
- Final Rule (Federal Register Notice) | Print Version (PDF) (15 pp, 556K) (March 26, 2007)
- Fact Sheet
On July 21, 2003, EPA promulgated changes to the list of Clean Water Act methods at 40 CFR Part 136.3. The final rule added bacterial methods for Escherichia coli (E. coli) and enterococci, and protozoan methods for Cryptosporidium and Giardia methods for use in ambient recreational waters.
The following documents supported the March 12, 2007, final rule:
- Proposed method update rule (April 6, 2004) | Print version (PDF) (62 pp, 835K; 69 FR 16165)
- Fact sheet on the proposed rule (December 2003)
- Notice of Data Availability Federal Register Notice (February 16, 2005)
- Fact sheet about the data (February 2005)