Water: CWA Methods
Recent Regulatory Changes
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Final Decision on Alternative Oil and Grease Method
Decision on use of ASTM Method D7575 for measurement of oil and grease.
- Fact sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 47K) (March 2013)
- Federal Register Notice (PDF) (5 pp, 236K) (March 6, 2013)
- Support Documents
- Guidance for Limited Use Alternate Test Procedure Applications for ASTM Method D7575 for Oil and Grease (PDF) (22 pp, 240K; EPA-821-R-13-006) (March 2013)
- Limited Use Alternate Test Procedure Application (Word, 35K) (March 2013)
- Limited Use Alternate Test Procedure Method Documentation Form (Word, 59K) (March 2013)
- Performance Comparison Form - Clean Matrix (Word, 55K) (March 2013)
- Performance Comparison Form - Effluent Matrix (Word, 50K) (March 2013)
- Oil and Grease ATP Comparison Worksheet (Excel, 35K) (February 2013)
Methods Update Rule – 2012
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 28K)
- Final Rule (Federal Register Notice) (PDF) (89 pp, 1.1MB) (May 18, 2012)
- Fact Sheet - Notice of Data Availability (PDF) (1 pg, 396K) December 2011)
- Notice of Data Availability (Federal Register Notice) (PDF) (6 pp, 167K) (December 14, 2011)
- Fact Sheet – Proposed Rule (PDF) (1 pg, 32K; 820-F-10-004) (July 2010)
- Proposed Rule (Federal Register Notice) (PDF) (54 pp, 457K) (September 23, 2010)
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
On March 12, 2007, EPA promulgated changes to the list of Clean Water Act methods at 40 CRF Part 136.3. This final rule added new methods to the list of sampling and analysis procedures and revised and withdrew other methods.
- Methods Update Rule; 72 FR 11199 (March 12, 2007) | Print Version (PDF) (51 pp, 2.3MB)
- Fact Sheet (July 2006)
- Question and Answers (May 2007)
On March 26, 2007, EPA promulgated new analytical methods for measurement of biological pollutants in wastewater and sewage sludge also at 40 CFR Part 136.3. The new methods include culture-based approaches to detect enterococci and Escherichia coli (E. coli) in wastewater, and tests to identify Salmonella and fecal coliform bacteria in sewage sludge.
- Final Rule (Federal Register Notice) | Print Version (PDF) (15 pp, 556K) (March 26, 2007)
- Fact Sheet
On July 21, 2003, EPA promulgated changes to the list of Clean Water Act methods at 40 CFR Part 136.3. The final rule added bacterial methods for Escherichia coli (E. coli) and enterococci, and protozoan methods for Cryptosporidium and Giardia methods for use in ambient recreational waters.
The following documents supported the March 12, 2007, final rule:
- Proposed method update rule (April 6, 2004) | Print version (PDF) (62 pp, 835K; 69 FR 16165)
- Fact sheet on the proposed rule (December 2003)
- Notice of Data Availability Federal Register Notice (February 16, 2005)
- Fact sheet about the data (February 2005)