Water: Septic (Onsite / Decentralized) Systems
Did you know that one-quarter of all U.S. homes have septic systems? Yours may be one of them. If you’re not properly maintaining your septic system, you’re not only hurting the environment, you’re putting your family’s health at risk—and may be flushing thousands of dollars down the drain!
Welcome to SepticSmart!
Learn more about how your septic system works and
- The Basics: Do you have questions about how septic systems work? Do you know whether or not your property is serviced by a septic system?
- Why should you maintain your septic system?: Learn the benefits to keeping a properly maintained septic system. The facts may surprise you.
- How to properly care for your system: Septic system maintenance isn’t complicated, and it doesn’t need to be expensive. Follow these maintenance tips to help ensure your system continues to operate reliably.
- Homeowner Resources: Want to know more?
- Outreach Toolkit: Need help developing and launching your local septic education campaign? Visit this page for a full list of SepticSmart tools and materials.
Looking to Launch a Local Outreach Campaign?
- Check out the SepticSmart Outreach Toolkit!Government officials, industry professionals, environmental groups, and other local organizations can access ready-to-use educational materials, case studies, and more.
Contact SepticSmart Staff: