Water: Beach Grants
National Beach Guidance and Required Performance Criteria for Grants
Other Beaches Links
EPA-823-B-02-004; July 2002
This document, the National Beach Guidance and Required Performance Criteria for Grants, outlines the performance criteria that eligible coastal or Great Lakes state, tribal, or local governments must meet to receive grants to implement coastal recreation water monitoring and public notification programs under the BEACH Act. This document also provides useful guidance for both coastal and inland beach monitoring and notification programs. The BEACH Act, however, authorizes the award of grant funds to support monitoring and notification programs for coastal recreation waters only.
EPA published a hard copy version of his document in June 2002. In December 2008, we created a web version of the Guidance. We added selected links and resources designed to help you find additional information. The original links and Appendices are labeled as "2002 guidance." The added appendices labeled "Supplemental Materials" provide additional discussions, examples, and other references that may be helpful to beach program managers. The new materials do not create additional requirements beyond those in the main guidance document.
This Guidance is intended to serve as a "living document," subject to future revisions as the BEACH program moves forward, and to reflect the needs and experiences of EPA and the states.
Guidance Document (2002)
- Complete document: National Beach Guidance and Required Performance Criteria for Grants (PDF) (178 pp, 1.1MB; About PDF)
- Federal Register Notice (July 19, 2002)
Chapters with Additional Information
- Foreword, Acknowledgements and Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: Introduction 11/2008
- Chapter 2: Grants and Performance Criteria 11/2008
- Chapter 3: Risk-Based Beach Evaluation and Classification Process 11/2008
- Chapter 4: Beach Monitoring and Assessment 11/2008
- Chapter 5: Public Notification and Risk Communication 11/2008
- Appendices & Supplemental Information 11/2008