Water: Wastewater Management Process
Wastewater in Small Communities - Technical Assistance & Training
EPA and other organizations provide small community leaders and systems operators with technical assistance and training in the area of wastewater management through the following programs:
Technical Assistance and Training Providers
- National Environmental Training Center for Small Communities - This center develops and delivers training courses, operates a toll-free technical assistance hotline, and publishes newsletters to educate environmental trainers and state and local officials on wastewater, drinking water and solid waste management.
- National Small Flows Clearinghouse - This clearinghouse collects and distributes information about small wastewater treatment solutions, operates a toll-free technical assistance hotline and an internet-based discussion group, and publishes newsletters and other publications to assist small communities in addressing their wastewater treatment needs.
- Rural Community Assistance Partnership - This network of nonprofit organizations provides community-specific training and technical assistance at no cost, in an effort to improve the ability of rural communities to plan, design, operate, and maintain wastewater systems.
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator On-site Technical Assistance Training Program - Provides free hands-on, on-site training and technical assistance to small municipal wastewater treatment plant operators to achieve or maintain compliance and improve performance.
Additional Technical Assistance & Training Resources
- EPA Asset Management Training - EPA, in collaboration with partner organizations, hosts and co-sponsors training sessions and facilitates discussions on best practices in asset management, an effective method of improving operational, environmental, and financial performance while minimizing the total cost of owning and operating a facility.
- Tribal Resource Directory for Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatment - A searchable catalog of over thirty federal and non-federal programs that offer funding and technical support for tribal drinking water and wastewater systems, many of which are also available to non-tribal entities.
- EPA NPDES Training and Workshops - Training courses, workshops, and webcasts that explain the regulatory framework and technical considerations of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program.
- EPA Office of Water Training Opportunities - Listing of training and workshops offered by EPA's Office of Water.
- Visit the Related Links page for a listing of state government programs that provide technical assistance to small communities for wastewater infrastructure.