Water: Wastewater Management Process
Wastewater in Small Communities - Grants & Funding
EPA provides funding to small communities for the planning, design and construction of wastewater infrastructure and for water pollution control through the following programs (some programs listed below also provide funding for drinking water infrastructure):
- Clean Water State Revolving Fund - Provides grants to all 50 states and Puerto Rico to operate a revolving loan program that provides low-interest financing for wastewater and other water quality projects. Over half of the states have developed special programs for small, disadvantaged communities.
- Alaska Native Village and Rural Communities Sanitation Grant Program - Provides grants to Alaska Native Villages and rural Alaskan communities for the construction of drinking water and wastewater treatment systems, improvements in existing systems, and for training and technical assistance in the operations and maintenance of these systems.
- Clean Water Indian Set-Aside Grant Program - Provides grants for wastewater infrastructure to Indian tribes and Alaska Native Villages.
- Section 106 Tribal Pollution Grant Control Program - Provides grants to federally-recognized Indian tribes to assist in the development and implementation of water pollution control programs.
- U.S.-Mexico Tribal Border Infrastructure Grant Program - Provides grants to Indian tribes within 100 km (approximately 62 miles) north of the U.S.-Mexico border for the design, planning and construction of high priority drinking water and wastewater infrastructure projects.
- U.S.-Mexico Border Water Infrastructure Program - Provides grants for the planning, design, and construction of high priority wastewater and drinking water facilities to communities within 100 km (approximately 62 miles) north and south of the U.S.-Mexico Border.
- Tribal Resource Directory for Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatment - A searchable catalog of over thirty federal and non-federal programs that offer funding and technical support for tribal drinking water and wastewater systems, many of which are also available to non-tribal entities.
- Visit the Related Links page for a listing of other federal agencies that provide funding to small communities for wastewater infrastructure.
- Visit the Related Links page for a listing of state government programs that provide funding to small communities for wastewater infrastructure.