Water: Monitoring & Assessment
Volunteer Stream Monitoring: A Methods Manual
|Office of Water
- Watershed Survey Visual Assessment (PDF, 15.4 KB)
- Stream Habitat Walk (PDF, 139.0 KB)
- Streamside Biosurvey: Macroinvertebrates (PDF, 32.7 KB)
- Streamside Biosurvey: Habitat Walk (PDF, 24.6 KB)
- Data Form for Calculating Flow (PDF, 9.7 KB)
- Water Quality Sampling Field Data Sheet (PDF, 6.2 KB)
- Worksheet for Calculating Latitude and Longitude (PDF, 23.5 KB)
This draft manual was developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency through contract no. 68C30303 with Tetra Tech, Inc. and through cooperative agreement no. CT901837010 with the River Watch Network. The project manager was Alice Mayio, USEPA Offi ce of Wetlands Oceans and Watersheds. Principal authors include Eric Dohner, Abby Markowitz, Michael Barbour, and Jonathan Simpson of Tetra Tech, Inc.; Jack Byrne and Geoff Dates of River Watch Network; and Alice Mayio of USEPA. Illustrations are by Emily Faalasli, Tetra Tech, Inc. In addition, a workgroup of volunteer monitoring program coordinators contributed significantly to this product. The authors wish to thank, in particular; Carl Weber of the University of Maryland and Save Our Streams; Jay West and Karen Firehock of the Izaak Walton League of America; Anne Lyon of the Tennessee Valley Authority; and the many reviewers who provided constructive and insightful comments to early drafts of this document. This manual would not have been possible with out their invaluable advice and assistance.
This document has been reviewed in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency policy and approved for publication. Mention of trade names or commercial products does not constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.