Water: Dredged Material Management
Dredged Material Testing and Evaluation
Evaluation of dredged material for ocean disposal under the MPRSA relies largely on biological (bioassay) tests. The ocean testing manual, commonly referred to as the Green Book, provides national guidance for determining the suitability of dredged material for ocean disposal.
Evaluation of dredged material for inland disposal under the CWA relies on the use of physical, chemical, and/or biological tests to determine acceptability of material to be disposed. The Inland Testing Manual (PDF) (176 pp, 9MB, About PDF) is national guidance which provides best available methods for this CWA evaluation.
- Inland Testing Manual (PDF) (176 pp, 9mb)
- ITM Appendix b (PDF) (41 pp, 2mb)
- ITM Appendix c (PDF) (81 pp, 4mb)
- ITM Appendix d (PDF) (118 pp, 5mb)
- ITM Appendix e (PDF) (58 pp, 2mb)
- ITM Appendix f (PDF) (8 pp, 1mb)
- ITM Appendix g (PDF) (34 pp, 2mb)
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers maintains an online ocean disposal database for dredged material.
Additional information on dredging can be found at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Dredging Operations and Environmental Research Program website.