Water: Climate Ready Estuaries
You are here: WaterOur WatersOceans, Coasts, Estuaries & BeachesClimate Ready EstuariesNews and Events
News and Events
CRE Website Directory
Press Releases and Other News from EPA
- October 22, 2013: A public draft of Being Prepared for Climate Change: A Workbook for Developing Risk-Based Adaptation Plans (MS Word, 148 pp, 5.60 MB) is available for public involvement and peer input.
Per the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Peer Review Handbook, 3 ed.—
"Many Agency work products are developed with the input of various scientific and technical experts inside and outside the Agency. Like the contribution made by peer reviewers, peer input is valuable and enhances the scientific or technical basis of the products. Peer input, sometimes referred to as peer consultation, generally connotes an interaction during the development of an evolving Agency work product, providing an open exchange of data, insights, and ideas."
Per the Public Involvement Policy of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency—
"EPA's mission is to protect human health and the environment. To achieve that mission, EPA needs to continue to integrate, in a meaningful way, the knowledge and opinions of others into its decision-making processes. Effective public involvement can both improve the content of the Agency's decisions and enhance the deliberative process."
We hope to hear from you.
- June 2013: Climate Ready Estuaries is celebrating King Tides Month in honor of the natural phenomenon set to occur on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. King tides are the highest predicted tide of the year and provide an excellent opportunity for sea level rise education. To learn more about king tides, see the King Tide Factsheet (1 pp, 877K, About PDF). Read about king tides and sea level rise (Part 1 and Part 2) on EPA's Greenversations blog and follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@EPAwater) with #kingtide. Find out when King Tides will be occurring in your area . Get out there for a glimpse of the future and then turn to the EPA State of the Environment Photo Project to see pictures and share your king tide photos with us!
- January 2013: Climate Ready Estuaries announces four new publications— Climate Ready Estuaries 2012 Progress Report (24 pp, 5.5MB, About PDF); Lessons Learned from the Climate Ready Estuaries Program: New England Climate Ready Estuaries (4 pp, 1.0MB, About PDF); Climate Change and Coastal Watersheds: Adaptation to Attain Clean Water Goals and Sustainable Coasts (8 pp, 724K, About PDF); and Climate Change Risk Management: CRE Adaptation Projects and the Risk Management Process (8 pp, 720K, About PDF)
- December 2012: EPA releases National Water Program 2012 Strategy: Response to Climate Change. The document describes how EPA's water-related programs plan to address the impacts of climate change. It describes our long-term visions, goals and strategic actions for the management of sustainable water resources for future generations in five key areas: infrastructure, watersheds and wetlands, coastal and ocean waters, water quality, and working with Tribes.
- 2012 marks the 25th year of the National Estuary Program.
To learn more, visit the National Estuary Program website.
- 2012 marks the 40th anniversary of the Clean Water Act, the nation's law for protecting our most irreplaceable resource. To learn more, visit Water Is Worth It!
- December 2011: Climate Ready Estuaries publishes its Third Progress Report (PDF) (24 pp, 5.9MB, About PDF). This document reports on 2011 program accomplishments and the new NEP projects started during 2011. The progress report uses NEP projects from 2008–2010 to illustrate how the risk management paradigm can be used for climate change adaptation.
- October 2011: King Tide Factsheet (PDF) (1 pg, 877K, About PDF) (EPA, June 2011). Learn how to leverage King Tide for a sea level rise outreach campaign.
- September 2011: Look for new 2011 CRE Partner Projects on the Where You Live page.
- June 2011: Lessons Learned from the Climate Ready Estuaries Program (PDF) (4 pp, 1.35MB, About PDF). This document presents best practices and lessons learned from the CRE annual progress report for 2010.
- June 2011: EPA Climate Ready Estuaries brochure (PDF) (2 pp, 300K, About PDF) provides basic information about this partnership between EPA and the National Estuary Programs to address climate change in coastal areas.
- June 2011: Climate Ready Estuaries Publishes Rolling Easements Primer (PDF) (176 pp, 6.2MB, About PDF). This primer examines rolling easements, a collection of approaches allowing beaches and wetlands to migrate inland as sea levels rise in cases where traditional protective measures, such as the construction of dikes, seawalls, and other structures, may prove economically or environmentally unsustainable.
- December 2010: Climate Ready Estuaries Publishes its Second Progress Report (PDF) (28 pp, 3.9MB, About PDF). The report describes Partner accomplishments in 2010 and planned activities.
- November 2010: The Fall 2010 issue (PDF) (4 pp, 2.6MB, About PDF) of the Climate Ready Estuaries Program “Ready” newsletter is now available.
- July 2010: The Partnership for the Delaware Estuary has published Climate Change and the Delaware Estuary: Three Case Studies in Vulnerability Assessment and Adaptation Planning (PDF) (118 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF) which was developed with funding from EPA’s Climate Ready Estuaries Program.
- July 2010: The Summer 2010 issue (PDF) (4 pp, 2.2MB, About PDF) of the Climate Ready Estuaries Program “Ready” newsletter is now available.
- June 2010: Climate Ready Estuaries Announces 2010 Grant Amendments and Direct Technical Assistance Awardees. More information.
- December 2009: Climate Ready Estuaries Publishes its First Progress Report (PDF) (21 pp, 4.1 MB, About PDF). The report describes the program’s accomplishments to date, including activities being managed by Partners, lessons learned in the adaptation planning process, challenges encountered, and next steps.
- June 2009: Climate Ready Estuaries Announces 2009 Grants and Technical Assistance Awardees. News brief and more information.
- May 2009: The May/June 2009 issue of NOAA's Coastal Services journal has an article featuring EPA's Climate Ready Estuaries program.
- January 16, 2009: EPA press release announcing new report, Coastal Sensitivity to Sea Level Rise: A Focus on the Mid-Atlantic Region. The report is available for downloading in the Sea Level Rise Reports section of EPA's Climate Change Site.
- June 19, 2008: EPA press release announcing the Climate Ready Estuaries Program.