Water: Steam Electric
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
In 2010, EPA distributed questionnaires to approximately 700 fossil- and nuclear-fueled steam electric power plants. The Agency is using data from the questionnaires to support its proposed rule amending the effluent guidelines for the Steam Electric Power Generating category.
The questionnaire comprised nine sections to address specific processes, specific Agency data needs, or types of power plants. It collected general plant information and selected technical information about the plant processes and the electric generating units. The requested information includes economic data and technical information about flue gas desulfurization (FGD) wastewater, ash handling, cleaning of metal process equipment, wastewater treatment, and surface impoundment and landfill operations. The questionnaire also required certain power plants to collect and analyze samples of leachate from surface impoundments and landfills containing coal combustion residues.
EPA organized the respondents into four groups. Most coal- and petroleum coke-fired power plants received Parts A through D, H and I of the survey. Some coal- and petroleum coke-fired power plants received all sections of the survey (Parts A through I). Oil-fired power plants received Parts A through E, H, and I of the questionnaire. Gas-fired and nuclear power plants received Parts A, E, H, and I of the questionnaire.
- Steam Electric Questionnaire Mailing List (PDF) (23 pp, 291K)
- Questionnaire Distributed to Respondents (PDF) (391 pp, 4.5MB) (May 20, 2010)
- Questionnaire Instructions
- Part A – Steam Electric Power Plant Operations
- Part B – Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) Systems
- Part C – Ash Handling
- Part D – Pond/Impoundment Systems and Other Wastewater Treatment Operations
- Part E – Wastes from Cleaning Metal Process Equipment
- Part F – Management Practices for Pond/Impoundments and Landfills
- Part G – Leachate Sampling Data for Ponds/Impoundments and Landfills
- Part H – Nuclear Power Generation
- Part I – Economic and Financial Data
- Questionnaire Response Database
The database file contains publicly-available responses to the technical questionnaire (Parts A through H). Please see the Data Element Dictionary for documentation.
For further information
For additional information regarding Steam Electric Power Generating effluent guidelines, please contact Jezebele Alicea-Virella (email@example.com) or 202-566-1755.