Water: Steam Electric
Proposed Effluent Guidelines for the Steam Electric Power Generating Category
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is proposing to amend the effluent limitations guidelines and standards for the Steam Electric Power Generating category (40 CFR Part 423). A proposed rule was signed by the EPA Acting Administrator and is being prepared for publication.
- News Release (April 19, 2013)
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 108K)
- Federal Register Notice, pre-publication (PDF) (491 pp, 1.2MB)
EPA will provide support documents when the proposed rule is published.
- Steam Electric Power Generating Point Source Category: Final Detailed Study Report (PDF) (233 pp, 2.6MB) (EPA 821-R-09-008).
Summaries of EPA consultations with Indian Tribes and consultations pursuant to the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act and Executive Order 13132 on federalism.
Overview of EPA's 2010 questionnaire distributed to steam electric power plants.
- Laboratory Analysis of Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) Wastewater (2011)
EPA developed a standard operating procedure to conduct analyses of FGD wastewater.
Consent Decree and Relevant Court Filings
Under a consent decree entered into in Defenders of Wildlife v. EPA, No. 10-cv-01915 (D.D.C.), and since revised, EPA agrees to sign a notice of proposed rulemaking by April 19, 2013, and to sign a decision taking final action by May 22, 2014.
- EPA Status Report to Court: April 2013 (PDF) (3 pp, 24K)
- EPA Status Report to Court: February 2013 (PDF) (3 pp, 28K)
- EPA Status Report to Court: January 2013 (PDF) (3 pp, 23K)
- Consent Decree (PDF) (9 pp, 261K)
- Consent Decree Extension #1 (PDF) (4 pp, 13K)
- Consent Decree Extension #2 (PDF) (4 pp, 26K)
- Consent Decree Extension #3 (PDF) (5 pp, 32K)
Documents related to this rulemaking can be found at EPA’s on-line docket website at regulations.gov. The Docket Number is EPA-HQ-OW-2009-0819.
For further information
For additional technical information in the proposed Steam Electric Power Generating effluent guidelines, please contact Jezebele Alicea-Virella (email@example.com) or 202-566-1755. For economic information please contact James Covington (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 202-566-1034.