You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The Pesticide Chemicals effluent limitations guidelines and standards at 40 CFR 455 were established, removed, reissued, and amended in several actions, from 1978 to 2007. The regulation provides effluent limitations and standards for four(4) subcategories and test methods for certain pesticides and processes.
- Facilities Covered
- Key Federal Register Notices
- Fact Sheets and Guidance Documents
- Additional Information
The Pesticide Chemicals regulation applies to the following subcategories:
- Subpart A: Organic Pesticide Chemicals Manufacturing
- Subpart B: Metallo-Organic Pesticide Chemicals Manufacturing
- Subpart C: Pesticide Chemicals Formulating and Packaging (PFPR)
- Subpart E: Repackaging of Agricultural Pesticides Performed at Refilling Establishments
Key Federal Register Notices
The key Federal Register notices are:
- Final rule for revisions to subparts A, B, and D (58 FR 50638; Septempber 28, 1993)
- Final rule for Pesticide Formulating and Repackaging (PFPR) and Agricultural Refilling establishment subcategories | Print Version (PDF) (410K, 50 pages) (61 FR 57518; November 6, 1996)
- Other Federal Register notices pertaining to the existing effluent limitations:
- Direct final rule for revisions to the limits for one active ingredient, pendimethalin (63 FR 39440; July 22, 1998)
- Final rule to move some test methods from Part 455 to the part of the CFR that lists these and other analytical methods | Print Version (PDF) (2.3MB, 51 pages) (72 FR 11200; March 12, 2007)
The original set of BPT effluent lmitations for subparts A and B are described in a 1978 final rule and its amendment.
- Final rule (43 FR 17776; April 25, 1978)
- Amendment (43 FR 44846; September 29, 1978)
EPA then issued additional regulations for BAT, PSES, and new sources for subpart C and subpart D.
- Final rule (50 FR 40672; October 4, 1985)
- This rule was remanded and removed in 1986 (51 FR 44911; December 15, 1986).
Fact Sheets and Guidance Documents
Pesticide Chemicals Formulating and Packaging (PFPR) Subcategory
- Fact Sheets
- Pesticide Formulating, Packaging and Repackaging Effluent Guidelines and Standards - Final Rule
- Pretreatment Streamlining Rule Fact Sheet 4.0: Equivalent Concentration-Based Limits for Flow-Based Standards (PDF) (4 pp, 78 K)
- Guidance Manual:
- Pollution Prevention (P2) Guidance Manual for the Pesticide Formulation Packaging, and Repackaging Industry: Implementing the P2 Alternative
- Recent Amendments:
- Fact sheet for amendments to the Pesticide Manufacturing Effluent Guidelines for Pendimethalin
For additional information regarding pesticide chemicals effluent guidelines, please see pesticide chemicals contacts.