Water: Animal Feeding
Feedlots Point Source Category Study
Preliminary Data Summary
EPA-821-R-99-002, January 1999
The purpose of this study is to gather preliminary information on waste characteristics and waste handling technologies and practices in the area of animal feeding operations, environmental impacts that may be attributed to these operations, and the industry's size structure, geographic distribution, and economic status. This study does not establish or alter EPA regulations or policies concerning animal feeding operations. It does not impose any legally binding requirements on EPA, States, or the regulated community. Following the publication of this report, EPA developed NPDES Regulations and Effluent Guidelines for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Cover Page, Title Page, and Table of Contents (15K)
- Executive Summary (89K)
- Appendices (15K)
- Appendix 1. Introduction (50K)
- Appendix 2. Economic Data Summary: Preliminary Study of the Livestock and Poultry Industry (6K)
- Appendix 3. Technology Data Summary (7K)
- Appendix 4. Environmental Data Summary: Environmental Impacts of Animal Feeding Operations (553K)