Water: State, Tribal & Territorial Standards
Repository of Documents: South Dakota
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Chapter 74:51:01, Surface Water Quality (PDF) (114 pp, 8.5MB)
- (Effective January 27, 1999) State regulation establishing water quality standards for surface waters of the state.
- Chapter 74:51:02, Uses Assigned to Lakes (PDF) (20 pp, 1.8MB)
- Chapter 74:51:03, Uses Assigned to Streams (PDF) (23 pp, 2.4MB)
- Antidegradation Implementation Procedure (PDF) (23 pp, 2.4MB)
- Mixing Zone and Dilution Implementation Guide (PDF) (12 pp, 1MB)
South Dakota's water quality standards are applicable to "waters of the State". In some limited instances, the definition adopted by South Dakota for "waters of the State" as part of its water quality standards may result in water quality standards that are more comprehensive than required under section 303(c) of the Clean Water Act and the implementing federal regulations. EPA has included the State's water quality standards in their entirety here for context and as supplementary information for the reader.
South Dakota water quality standards apply to all waters within the State of South Dakota, with the exception of those waters that are within Indian Country, as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 1151. EPA's approval of South Dakota's water quality standards was not intended as an action to approve or disapprove water quality standards applying to waters within Indian Country. EPA, or eligible Indian Tribes, as appropriate, will retain responsibilities for water quality standards within Indian Country.