Water: State, Tribal & Territorial Standards
Repository of Documents: New York
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Federal Regulations, 40 CFR 131.41
- (Effective December 16, 2004) Federal regulations establishing bacteria criteria for coastal and Great Lakes waters. This regulation is also known as the Beach Rule.
- Section 1: Water Quality Regulation (PDF) (154 pp, 532K)
- (Effective June 12, 2008) Surface Water and Ground Water Classifications and Standards.
- Note: These regulations contain additional provisions related to groundwater that are outside the scope of the Clean Water Act and the implementing federal regulations, but are included here as supplementary information.
- Section 2: Division of Water Technical and Operational Guidance (1.1.1) (PDF) (128 pp, 3.5MB)
- This document provides a compilation of ambient water quality guidance values and groundwater effluent limitations for use where there are no standards or regulatory effluent limitations.
- Section 3: Division of Water Technical and Operational Guidance (1.1.3) (PDF) (3 pp, 97K)
- This document provides the technical reference for the calculation of a site-specific standard or guidance value for the protection of aquatic life.
- Section 4: Division of Water Technical and Operation Guidance (1.1.4) (PDF) (19 pp, 482K)
- This document provides detailed procedures for the derivation of Bioaccumulation Factors.
- Section 5: Division of Water Technical and Operation Guidance (1.1.5) (PDF) (13 pp, 379K)
- This document provides detailed procedures for deriving ambient water quality standards and guidance values for the protection of wildlife.
- Section 6: Division of Water Technical and Operation Guidance (1.3.1) (PDF) (6 pp, 189K)
- New York State Provisions for Mixing Zones.
- Section 7: Division of Water Technical and Operation Guidance (1.3.9) (PDF) (10 pp, 472K)
- This document provides supplementary guidance associated with the implementation of the NYSDEC 1985 Antidegradation Policy.
- Section 8: Amendment to the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (PDF) (4 pp, 155K)
- This MOA ensures that variances granted under 6NYCRR Part 702.17 are consistent and as protective as those which would be issued under the Great Lakes Water Quality Guidance.
- Section 9: Water Quality Antidegradation Policy (PDF) (6 pp, 214K)
- This document presents the policy by which the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) protects water quality against degradation.
- New York State Water Classifications 6NYCRR Parts 800-941
- The classifications of all water body segments in New York State are contained in 6NYCRR Parts 800-941. These classifications are descriptive designations assigned under state regulations to all waters in the State, defining the best way each body of water can be used. The classification is the legal basis for water quality protection programs.
- Effective dates for these classifications (for Clean Water Act purposes) are documented in EPA review of New York State Water Classifications 6NYCRR Parts 800-941 (PDF) (1 pg, 18K).