You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
These documents provide overview of the Biological Criteria Program at the EPA.
Fact Sheets and Memos
These fact sheets provide brief summaries of various aspects of the Biological Criteria Program
- 2011 Biological Assessments: Key Terms and Concepts (PDF) (2 pp, 1.6MB)
- 2004 Technical Components of Tribal Bioassessment Programs (PDF) (8 pp, 1.3MB)
- 2003 States and Tribes Embrace Bioassessment and Biocriteria for Protecting Streams and Small Rivers (PDF) (5 pp, 725K)
- 2002 Biological Assessments and Criteria: Crucial Components of Water Quality Programs (PDF) (6 pp, 1MB)
- 1991 Final Policy Memo on Biological Assessments and Criteria (PDF) (19 pp, 1MB)
These documents provide overviews of the Biological Criteria program at different points in time.
2002 Summary of Biological Assessment Programs and Biocriteria Development for States, Tribes, Territories, and Interstate Commissions: Streams and Wadeable Rivers
This document provides a comprehensive assessment of the state use of bioassessments and biocriteria for protecting streams and wadeable rivers. The document also illustrates changes and improvements in bioassessment capabilities over the past six years, and serves as an important measure of program advancement and EPA’s bioassessment technical transfer efforts.
1996 Summary of State Biological Assessment Programs for Streams and Rivers
This document provides a summary of the progress of individual state programs in developing Biological Assessment programs.
- Report (PDF) (168 pp, 9.5MB)