Mussel Toxicity Testing Workshop Presentations
In August of 2005, in Chicago, Illinois, we convened a workshop to provide a forum for information exchange on science issues related to freshwater mussels toxicity testing, including those raised in response to the Federal Register notice. At the workshop, EPA and those in attendance shared information, data, studies and the latest research findings relevant to mussel toxicity testing. Attendees had the opportunity to comment on this information, ask questions, and otherwise participate in the information exchange.
This workshop was not an EPA decision-making meeting nor a public hearing.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Note: Mussel Toxicity Testing Workshop presentations represent the work of individual researchers and the results presented in these proceedings do not necessarily reflect an EPA endorsement of the findings.
- Opening and Overview (PDF) - William Swietlik (13 pp, 132 K)
- Overview of North American freshwater mussels (PDF) - Christopher Barnhart and Richard Neves (72 pp, 6.6 MB)
- Methods for Culturing Freshwater Mussels (PDF) - Richard Neves and Christopher Barnhart (43 pp, 4.1 MB)
- Propagation and Culture of Freshwater Mussels In Vitro (PDF) - Cristi Bishop, Robert Hudson, and Jerry Farris (13 pp, 132 K)
- ASTM International standard guide for conducting laboratory toxicity tests with freshwater mussels (PDF) - Multiple Authors (43 pp, 1.6 MB)
- Control survival of mussels in laboratory toxicity tests (PDF) - Multiple Authors (20 pp, 525 K)
- Precision of acute copper and ammonia toxicity tests with glochidia and juvenile mussels (PDF) - Multiple Authors (14 pp, 501 K)
- Acute toxicity of ammonia to freshwater mussels: How new data and emerging data quality quidelines affect data synthesis (PDF) - Multiple Authors (14 pp, 65 K)
- Comparison of the sensitivity of early life stages of freshwater mussels to currentuse pesticides (PDF) - Multiple Authors (33 pp, 1.7 MB)
- Comparative sensitivity of glochidia and juvenile mussels to ammonia, metals, and chlorine (PDF) - Multiple Authors (16 pp, 171 K)
- Effects of hypoxia on freshwater mussels (PDF) - Brianna Kaiser and Chris Barnhart (32 pp, 1.8 MB)
- Relative sensitivity of juvenile fatmuckets (Lampsilis siliquoidea) and four other invertebrates to sulfate (PDF) - Multiple Authors (17 pp, 560 K)
- Acute and chronic effects of ammonia and copper on 2-month-old juvenile mussels (PDF) - Multiple Authors (20 pp, 283 K)
- Comparison of the acute toxicity of ammonia and copper to freshwater mussels and surrogate species (PDF) - Ning Wang and Chris Ingersoll (15 pp, 324 K)
- Residual effects of lead and zinc mining on freshwater mussels in the tri-state mining district (PDF) - Robert T. Angelo (50 pp, 16.4 MB)
- Cultural Importance of Freshwater Mussels to Native American Tribes: a field study of caged mussels (PDF) - Meredith Garvin, (25 pp, 3.3 MB)
- Sensitivity of Juvenile Sensitivity of Juvenile Unionids Unionids to Ammonia in to Ammonia in Sediment and Water-Only Sediment and Water-Only Toxicity Tests (PDF) (41 pp, 979 K)
- Potential sources of variability in unionid mussels metal burdens in the great rivers of Illinois (PDF) - Multiple Authors, (28 pp, 2.1 MB)