Water: Laboratory Certification
Drinking Water Analytical Methods
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Water systems must use EPA-approved analytical methods when analyzing samples to meet federal monitoring requirements or to demonstrate compliance with drinking water regulations. Approved methods are listed in the Code of Federal Regulations after publication in a final rule or as part of an expedited approval. Approved methods are developed by EPA, other government agencies, universities, consensus methods organizations, water laboratories, and instrument manufacturers.
Analytical Methods Approved for Drinking Water Compliance Monitoring
The following documents list all of the methods that are currently approved by EPA for the analysis of drinking water samples. Each document focuses on the methods that are applicable to a specific monitoring requirement. When a method can be obtained by direct download from the Internet, the report identifies the link. EPA will update these tables periodically.
- Inorganic Contaminants and Other Inorganic Constituents (June 2011) (PDF) (59 pp, 780K)
- Radionuclides (June 2011) (PDF) (23 pp, 125K)
- Organic Contaminants (June 2011) (PDF) (25 pp, 522K)
- Disinfection Byproduct Rules (June 2008) (PDF) (22 pp, 96K)
- Total Coliform Rule (June 2008) (PDF) (18 pp, 101K)
- Ground Water Rule (June 2008) (PDF) (10 pp, 606K)
- Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule (June 2008) (PDF) (10 pp, 62K)
- Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule (June 2008) (PDF) (20 pp, 80K)
- Unregulated Contaminant Monitoring Rule – Cycle 2
- Recommended Methods for Secondary Drinking Water Contaminants (June 2011) (PDF) (30 pp, 513K)
Sources of Drinking Water Methods
- Sources of Approved Analytical Methods for National Drinking Water Regulations (June 2008) (PDF) (6 pp, 30K)
This table provides information on how to obtain copies of approved methods cited in the tables above that are not available on the Internet.
- Analytical Methods Developed by EPA’s Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water
- Analytical Methods for Chemical Contaminants Developed by EPA’s Office of Research and Development
- Analytical Methods for Microbial Contaminants Developed by EPA’s Office of Research and Development
Technical Notes on Drinking Water Methods
In October 1994, Technical Notes on Drinking Water Methods (EPA/600/R-94/173) was published as a joint effort of the Office of Water and the Office of Research and Development. This publication was prepared to add modifications, clarifications, options or improvements to methods that had previously been approved and published. EPA elected to describe these changes in this document and thereby allow the public to use these changes more immediately. This document is available through EPA’s digital publications National Environmental Publications Internet Site (NEPIS) database.