WARSSS consists of three phases, and each phase contains step by step directions and all necessary worksheets. The following conventions are common to all phases:
- The flowcharts for the three phases of WARSSS (RLA, RRISSC, and PLA) are key to following the steps in WARSSS and linking to all WARSSS resources including text, graphics, data forms, and offsite hot links to more assessment tools. Although all the main flowcharts are viewable online, posting a printed copy provides a convenient overview of the whole process while navigating the detailed steps.
- Phases of WARSSS are consistently color-coded in all the flow charts (RLA is green, RRISSC is yellow, PLA is light blue, and Monitoring is orange.)
- The basic way to use this website is to go through the WARSSS phases, click on each of the flowchart's numbered boxes in order, and complete the tasks described for each step. At the bottom of a step web page, the user can click on a link to the next step, or go back to the main flowchart for the phase of WARSSS they are in. There is also a hot-linked list of all steps in a navigation box on every page, enabling users to go directly to any step of their choice.
- All the WARSSS steps are hot-linked to text, data forms, alternative models, data sources, references, and other information as appropriate.
- Online users may click through the steps in order, carrying out the tasks as described and compiling the products needed until the sequence is completed.