Water: Clean Watersheds Needs Survey
CWNS 2004 Report to Congress
The Clean Watersheds Needs Survey 2004 Report to Congress (PDF) (166 pp, 1365K, About PDF) summarizes the results of EPA's 14th national survey on pollution control capital investment needs required to meet environmental and human health objectives of the Clean Water Act. The report provides vital information for Congress, state legislatures, communities and others to help them make informed decisions relating to clean water infrastructure and pollution control methods.
The 2004 Report estimates that nationwide capital investment needs for wastewater pollution control is $202.5 billion. This amount includes $134.4 billion for wastewater treatment and collection systems, $54.8 billion for combined sewer overflow corrections, and $9.0 billion for stormwater management. Small communities have documented needs of approximately $17.0 billion. The increase in overall national needs is due to a combination of population growth, more protective water quality standards, and aging infrastructure.
Breakdown of the report is provided. Read the Summary of the Findings (PDF) (6 pp, 58K) from the Executive Summary.
Table of Contents
- Cover (PDF) (1 pp, 114K)
- Acknowledgements (PDF) (1 pp, 22K)
- Contents (PDF) (4 pp, 63K)
- Acronyms (PDF) (2 pp, 20K)
- Executive Summary (PDF) (6 pp, 58K)
- Chapter 1 - Scope and Methods (PDF) (8 pp, 97K)
- Chapter 2 - Results: National Needs (PDF) (14 pp, 553K)
- Chapter 3 - Concluding Remarks (PDF) (6 pp, 68K)
- Glossary (PDF) (12 pp, 73K)
- References (PDF) (2 pp, 30K)
- Appendix A - Summary of CWNS 2004 Cost Estimates (PDF) (36 pp, 94K)
- Appendix B - Summary of CWNS 2000 and CWNS 1996 Cost Estimates (PDF) (10 pp, 235K)
- Appendix C - Summary of CWNS 2004 Technical Information (PDF) (16 pp, 210K)
- Appendix D - CWNS Database (PDF) (6 pp, 41K)
- Appendix E - Nonpoint Source Pollution Control Documented Needs and Modeled Estimates (PDF) (16 pp, 183K)
- Appendix F - CWNS 2004 Needs Categories (PDF) (8 pp, 68K)
- Appendix G - List of Acceptable Documentation Types (PDF) (8 pp, 89K)
- Appendix H - Pollutant Loading Changes (PDF) (10 pp, 130K)