National Management Measures to Control Nonpoint Source Pollution from Marinas and Recreational Boating
EPA 841-B-01-005, November 2001
National Management Measures to Control Nonpoint Source Pollution from Marinas and Recreational Boating is a technical guidance and reference document for use by State, local, and tribal managers in the implementation of nonpoint source pollution management programs. It contains information on the best available, economically achievable means of reducing pollution of surface water runoff from marinas and recreational boating.
You can receive a free copy of this guidance at National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP) or via phone at 1–800–490–9198 and requesting Publication # EPA 841-B-01-005. You can also download the document using the links below.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The full Guidance document is a very large file that may take a long time to download. The individual parts (chapters and their divisions) of the full document are much smaller files that will open quicker. Opening the smaller files is the recommended viewing method for slower Internet connections.
- Full document (ZIP) (37MB)
Table of Contents
- Cover Page and Table of Contents (PDF) (7 pp, 939K)
- Section 1 : Introduction (12 pp, 777K)
- Section 2 : Sources of Water Pollution from Marinas and Recreational Boating (PDF) (8 pp, 436K)
- Section 3 : Nonpoint Source Pollution Control and Waterbody Characteristics (PDF) (8 pp, 466K)
- Section 4 : Management Measures (PDF) (6 pp, 1.4MB)
- Section 4-1 : Marina Flushing (PDF) (6 pp, 1.3MB)
- Section 4-2 : Water Quality Assessment (PDF) (6 pp, 1.5MB)
- Section 4-3 : Habitat Assessment (PDF) (8 pp, 2.3MB)
- Section 4-4 : Shoreline and Streambank Stabilization (PDF) (4 pp, 1.1MB)
- Section 4-5 : Storm Water Runoff (PDF) (14 pp, 3.2MB)
- Section 4-6 : Fueling Station Design (PDF) (8 pp, 1.5MB)
- Section 4-7 : Petroleum Control (PDF) (6 pp, 1.2MB)
- Section 4-8 : Liquid Material Management (PDF) (8 pp, 1.6MB)
- Section 4-9 : Solid Waste (PDF) (6 pp, 1.6MB)
- Section 4-10 : Fish Waste Management (PDF) (4 pp, 957K)
- Section 4-11 : Sewage Facilities (PDF) (10 pp, 2.1MB)
- Section 4-12 : Maintenance of Sewage Facilities (PDF) (4 pp, 856K)
- Section 4-13 : Boat Cleaning (PDF) (4 pp, 1.7MB)
- Section 4-14 : Boat Operation (PDF) (4 pp, 470K)
- Section 4-15 : Public Education (PDF) (10 pp, 2.3MB)
- Section 5 : Determining Pollutant Loads (PDF) (12 pp, 1.1MB)
- Bibliography and Glossary (PDF) (8 pp, 619KB)
- Appendices (PDF) (46 pp, 6.9MB)