Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans for Construction Activities
WHAT CAN I FIND ON THIS WEBSITE?
- Developing Your Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan: A Guide for Construction Sites
- Example SWPPPs
- Key Resources
- Selected State BMP/Guidance Manuals
Developing Your Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan: A Guide for Construction Sites (PDF) (50 pp, 2.8MB, About PDF) - This guidance manual is intended as a helpful reference for construction site operators who must prepare a SWPPP in order to obtain NPDES permit coverage for their stormwater discharges. It describes the SWPPP development process and provides helpful guidance and tips for developing an effective SWPPP. In addition, the guide provides customizable SWPPP templates and a sample inspection report, in Microsoft Word format. This Guide may be used by construction site operators anywhere in the U.S. The SWPPP Template and Inspection form should be customized to meet the requirements in the applicable State Construction General Permit. Note: EPA is in the process of updating the SWPPP guide to be consistent with the 2012 CGP (PDF) (165 pp, 5.20MB, About PDF). Until the new guide is completed, if you will be applying for coverage under the 2012 CGP, you should refer to the permit (PDF) (165 pp, 5.20MB, About PDF) for your SWPPP requirements.
- SWPPP Template (Word Version) (58 pp, 269K) - The SWPPP template is designed to help construction operators develop a SWPPP that is compliant with the minimum requirements of EPA’s 2012 Construction General Permit.
- Inspection Report Templates. The Inspection Report Template is designed to assist operators in preparing inspection reports that meet the minimum reporting requirements in Part 4.1.7 of the CGP. EPA has developed two versions of the Inspection Report Form:
- The Field Version of the Inspection Report Template (Word Version) (12 pp, 76K) is formatted to be used in the field and filled out by hand.
- The Electronic Version of the Inspection Report Template (Word Version) (12 pp, 96K) is formatted to be filled out electronically, and includes text fields that direct you to populate the form with your site-specific information.
- Corrective Action Report Form. The Corrective Action Report Form is designed to assist operators in preparing corrective action reports that meet the minimum reporting requirements in Part 5.4 of the permit.
- The Field Version of the Corrective Action Report Form (Word Version) (6 pp, 52K) is formatted to be used in the field and filled out by hand.
- The Electronic Version of the Corrective Action Report Form (Word Version) (6 pp, 78K) is formatted to be filled out electronically, and includes text fields that direct you to populate the form with your site-specific information.
Example SWPPP (PDF) (73 pp, 1.57MB, About PDF)
Small Commercial Site (< 5 acres)
Example SWPPP (PDF) (56 pp, 983K, About PDF)
- Webinar on the 2012 Construction General Permit - This webinar provides an overview of the new requirements in the 2012 CGP.
- Webcast: Construction SWPPPs from A to Z: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know and More! - This EPA webcast focuses on the key elements of developing an effective SWPP and summarizes EPA's new SWPPP Guide for construction sites. This webcast also includes a discussion of common problems found during construction site inspections.
- Webcast: Stormwater Phase II: Developing an Effective Municipal Stormwater Management Program For Construction Sites (Construction 101) - This EPA webcast reviews the basic elements necessary to build an effective municipal program for construction site stormwater management. It also discusses some of the basics of proper BMP implementation and how to conduct effective inspections.
- Construction Industry Compliance Assistance Center - Plain language explanations of environmental rules for the construction industry. Links to stormwater permits and technical manuals for all 50 states.
- National Menu of Best Management Practices for NPDES Stormwater Phase II - The Construction Section of this Menu contains dozen of fact sheets on applicable construction site BMPs. Controlling stormwater runoff pollution requires a suite of BMPs working together and this Menu will help you determine which BMPs are most suitable for your site.
- EPA's Construction General Permit - If your construction site is located in an area where EPA is the permitting authority, you may obtain NPDES permit coverage under this construction general permit (CGP). This page provides information on filing a Notice of Intent (NOI) and other helpful information and resources.
- Managing Your Environmental Responsibilities: A Planning Guide for Construction and Development (PDF) (255 pp, 2.3MB, About PDF) - Produced by EPA, this document will help you comply with a variety of environmental regulations at every stage of your construction project.
- International Erosion Control Association - Non-profit educational organization working to educate and connect its membership of erosion and sediment control consultants, contractors, academics, corporations, and businesspersons. The website offers information on certifications for stormwater and erosion and sediment control professionals.
- Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control - Certification program to become a recognized specialist in soil erosion and sediment control.
- EPA’s Discharge Mapping Tool
- Kentucky Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Field Guide (PDF) (97 pp, 2.5MB, About PDF) - Easy to read field guide describing erosion and sediment control BMP selection and installation.
- Minnesota Stormwater Construction Inspection Guide (PDF) (36 pp, 657K, About PDF) - Manual designed to assist municipal construction inspectors in the procedures for conducting a compliance inspection at construction sites.
- Delaware Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook (PDF) (689 pp, 40.5MB, About PDF) - This extensive handbook provides thorough explanations of erosion and sediment control principles, as well as standards and specifications for construction BMPs. Included are design guides and application guides for a few practices.
- Western Washington Stormwater Management Manual – Volume II – Construction Stormwater Pollution Prevention - Advocates various site design principles, construction techniques, source controls, flow control facilities and treatment facilities. Users include land developers, development engineers, businesses, and local government. Anyone needing guidance on sediment and erosion control at construction sites in Western Washington or similar wet climates will find it useful.
- Eastern Washington Stormwater Management Manual - Guidance document addressing stormwater design and management in more arid climates.