Water: Water Quality Standards Academy
Basic Course: Supplemental Topics - Health (u)
Risk Assessment for Cancer Effects (Nonlinear): Other Terms in the Equation
- Listing Impaired Waters and Developing TMDLs
- Monitoring & Assessment
- NPDES Permit Program
- Human Health Ambient Water Quality Criteria
- Historical Approach to Human Health Criteria Development
- Updated Approach
- Quantitative Risk Assessment
- Toxicological Parameter for Noncancer Effects
- Risk Assessment for Noncancer Effects
- Toxicological Parameter for Cancer Effects (Linear)
- Risk Assessment for Cancer Effects (Linear)
- Toxicological Parameter for Cancer Effects (Nonlinear)
- Risk Assessment for Cancer Effects (Nonlinear)
- Exposure Assessment
- Aquatic Life Criteria
The remaining terms in the equation for deriving nonlinear cancer human health AWQC are consistent across all three equations, except for RSC, which is also used in the equation for noncancer effects but not in the equation for linear cancer effects.
RSC = Relative Source Contribution (%, to account for other sources of exposure).
BW = Human Body Weight (70 kg for average adult).
DI = Drinking Water Intake (2 L/day for average adult).
FI = Fish Intake (kg/day).
BAF = Bioaccumulation Factor (L/kg).
Note that details about exposure and bioaccumulation terms are presented in the next section of this module.