Water: Radionuclides Rule
You are here: WaterLaws & RegulationsRegulatory InformationSafe Drinking Water ActRadionuclides RuleCompliance Help
Steps to Selecting a Compliance Option for the Radionuclides Rule
EPA 816-F-08-010, May 2008
This brochure is for system operators, engineers, and engineer consultants to assis them in selecting non-treatment or treatment option for systems that need to comp into compliance with the Radionuclides Rule.
- Download PDF
(8 pp., 1 M)
- Quick Reference Guide PDF (2 pp, 107 K)
for more Quick Reference Guides see this page
- Radionuclides in Drinking Water: A Small Entity Compliance Guide
EPA 815-R-02-001, February 2002.
This guide provides the small operator of water systems with an understandable 'fly over' of the Radionuclides Rule.
- Download PDF (33 pp, 325 K)
- Radiation Health and Safety Practices for Community Water Systems PDF (2 pp., 671 K)
- Using DWSRF Funds to Comply with the Radionuclides Rule PDF (4 pp, 496 K) EPA 816-F-02-008
- Rural Developement-Rural Utilites Service, Loan, and Gran Program: Fact Sheet PDF (1pp, 129K)
- Sources of Technical and Financial Assistance for Small Drinking Water Systems PDF (23pp, 1M)
- Radionuclides: Compliance Options - Learn and Decide
Community water systems (CWSs) that use source water containing radium-226 (Ra-226), radium-228 (Ra-228), gross alpha particle activity, beta particle and photon radioactivity, or uranium must comply with the Radionuclides Rule. This content provides general information on:
- the available treatment technologies for the removal of radium, uranium, and gross alpha particle activity;
- the residuals produced by each technology;
- disposal options; and,
- the regulations governing these options.
- Removing Multiple Contaminants from Drinking Water: Issues to Consider PDF (1pp, 366K)
EPA 816-H-07-004, December 2007
- Talking to your Customers about Chronic Contaminants in Drinking Water PDF (2pp, 381K)
EPA 814-F-07-022, October 2007
- Limits for Beta Particles and Photon Emitters at 4 millrems/year (PDF 1 pp, 56 K)
The MCL for beta particles and photom emitters in 4 millirems/year. This table, which is excerpted from the Radionuclides Small Entity Compliance Guide, identifies the individual limits associated with specific types of particles that would correspond to an exposure level of 4 mrem/year.
- A System's Guide to the Management of Radioactive Residuals from Drinking Water Treatment Technologies
This short document provides information on the available treatment technologies for the removal of radium, uranium, and gross alpha particle activity (radionuclides); the residuals produced by each technology; disposal options; and the regulations governing these options.
- Download (PDF 6 pp, 4 M)
EPA 816-F-06-012, August 2006
- Download (PDF 6 pp, 4 M)
- A Regulator's Guide to the Management of Radioactive Residuals from Drinking Water Treatment Technologies
EPA 816-R-05-004, July 2005
This guidance document was developed to assist drinking water programs and systems decide which treatment technology to use based on treatment efficiency, disposal of residuals containing radionuclides, and worker safety concerns. EPA is providing this guidance manual primarily to states and technical assistance providers who will then provide guidance to those water systems affected by the Radionuclides Rule.
- Download PDF (81 pp, 560 K)
- Analytical Methods for Uranium
- Final Implementation Guidance for Radionuclides
EPA 816-F-00-002, March 2002
This document provides a "how to" approach for EPA Regions and states who will implement the final regulation issued Dec 7, 2000. It contains an explanation of the rule's requirements and guidance for preparing state primacy revisions. The implementation guidance also covers monitoring requirements, violation determination, and data reporting.