Water: Public Notification Rule
For Water System Owners and Operators
This page provides resources for drinking water system owners and operators to assist them in complying with requirements of the Public Notification (PN) rule. Primacy agencies (the entities that regulated drinking water systems) can also find information to assist in PN compliance.
PNiWriter Website no longer available
The PNiWriter website was taken offline on December 15, 2014.
For help completing a public notice:
- Access the Public Notification Handbook and Public Notice templates (available in Microsoft Word) below; or
- Contact your state for guidance and templates.
For PNiWriter questions or concerns, email email@example.com.
Revised Public Notification Handbook
This guide was developed for community water systems and non-transient non-community water systems. It provides instructions and includes templates that can be used for various types of public notices.
- Revised Public Notification Handbook PDF (180 pp, 2 MB)
EPA 816-R-09-013, March 2010
This guide was developed for transient non-community water systems. It provides instructions and includes templates that can be used for various types of public notices.
- Public Notification Handbook for Transient Non-community Water Systems PDF (112 pp, 1MB)
EPA 816-R-09-009, March 2010
These templates can be used and customized by drinking water systems to ensure they meet PN content requirements.
The Washington State Department of Health has developed over 2 dozen translations for informational statements to use on public notifications.
- Fact Sheet: Final Drinking Water Public Notification Regulations
EPA 816-F-00-020, May 2000
- Talking to your Customers about Chronic Contaminants in Drinking Water PDF (2 pp, 381K) (About PDF)
EPA 814-F-07-022, October 2007
For Primacy Agencies
State Implementation Guidance
This guidance document and its appendices contain information that will aid States in implementing the rule and applying for interim primacy.
- Revised State Implementation Guidance for the Public Notification (PN) Rule (181 pp, 2MB)
EPA 816-R-09-012, March 2010
- Microsoft Word File (291K)
Revised implementation rule guidance to state and EPA staff.