Laws, Regulations, Treaties: Scientific Documents
Scientific Documents Relevant to Wetlands and Aquatic Resources in the United States
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
National Wetlands Inventory Report
Report to Congress on the Status and Trends of Wetlands in the Conterminous United States 2004 to 2009 - The report provides the most recent and comprehensive estimates of the current status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous 48 United States on public and private lands.
National Resources Inventory Report
National Resources Inventory - The NRI is conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service, in cooperation with the Iowa State University Statistical Laboratory. The NRI is a statistical survey of land use and natural resource conditions and trends on U.S. non-Federal lands, including wetlands. The latest report is the 2007 NRI Summary Report (PDF) (127 pp, 1.6 MB).
Biodiversity Values of Geographically Isolated Wetlands
Biodiversity Values of Geographically Isolated Wetlands in the United States - A 2005 study conducted by NatureServe which assesses the potential biodiversity impacts of the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County vs. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (SWANCC) decision. Through literature review, expert opinion and compilation of existing occurrence data, NatureServe identified at-risk species and ecological communities that are supported by wetland habitats potentially affected by the court's decision.
Hydrogeomorphic (HGM) Approach for Assessing Wetland Functions
HGM Action Plan - Federal Register notice -Through the National Action Plan, the Corps of Engineers is announcing the strategy the Corps and other Federal agencies will follow to implement the Hydrogeomorphic Approach for Assessing Wetland Functions (HGM Approach) through the development of regional guidebooks. The National Action Plan was developed by a National Interagency Implementation Team. For additional information on HGM, link to the Army Corps of Engineers Waterways Experiment Station Home Page.
Journal of the American Water Resources Association Featured Collection on Headwaters
This featured collection in the Journal of the American Water Resources Association highlights the hydrological connectivity of headwater streams and their contributions to the integrity of downstream waters.
Geographic Information Systems Analysis of the Surface Drinking Water Provided by Intermittent, Ephemeral, and Headwater Streams in the U.S.
- Drinking Water Analysis Relevant to Rapanos Decision is a GIS analysis aimed at illuminating dependence on intermittent, ephemeral, and headwater streams for water to supply public drinking water systems.
Special Issue of the Journal Wetlands on Isolated Wetlands
- This special issue of Wetlands reviews the state of scientific understanding of isolated wetlands.
Field Operations Manual for Assessing the Hydrologic Permanence and Ecological Condition of Headwater Streams
- EPA's Office of Research and Development published this manual of procedures used to assess the physical and biological characteristics of headwater streams.
The Ecological and Hydrological Significance of Ephemeral and Intermittent Streams in the Arid and Semi-arid American Southwest
- EPA's Office of Research and Development and the USDA Agricultural Research Service collaborated on the publication of this report (PDF) (116 pp, 2.6MB). The report synthesizes current knowledge of the ecology and hydrology of ephemeral and intermittent streams in the Southwest.
Draft Scientific Report Connectivity of Streams and Wetlands to Downstream Waters: A Review and Synthesis of the Scientific Evidence
- This draft report (PDF) (331 pp, 11 MB) from EPA's Office of Research and Development synthesizes the peer-reviewed scientific literature pertaining to biological, chemical, and hydrologic connectivity of waters and the effects that small streams, wetlands, and open waters have on larger downstream waters such as rivers, lakes, estuaries, and oceans. The draft report is out for public review and comment through November 6, 2013 as part of a Science Advisory Board-led peer review.