Water: Large Existing Power Plants
Phase II—Large Existing Electric Generating Plants
You wll need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Information Collection Request: Willingness to Pay Survey for Section 316(b) Benefits Assessment
EPA is requesting public comment on the implementation of a national stated preference survey instrument to value the benefits of the proposed regulation of cooling water intake structures (CWIS) at Clean Water Act (CWA) section 316(b) existing facilities. The survey will allow EPA to estimate total benefits for the proposed regulatory options and fulfill Executive Order 12866 which requires the estimation of the potential benefits and costs to society of the rulemaking.
Suspension of Phase II Rule
EPA is suspending the Cooling Water Intake Structure Regulations for existing large power plants. This suspension is in response to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Riverkeeper, Inc., v. EPA.
Published Final Rule
- Correction - Federal Register Notice (August 4, 2004)
- Final Rule, Part 1 | Final Rule, Part 2 | Final Rule, Part 3
- Economic and Benefits Analysis
- Regional Analysis
- Technical Development Document
- Response to Public Comment
- Instructions for requesting regulatory cost information for facilities who claimed flow data as confidential business information (December 8, 2004) Includes a sample request.
- Questions and Answers on Implementation (PDF) (7 pp, 93K) (August 23, 2004)
This question and answer document was prepared to provide guidance on the implementation of the phase II rule. As we receive additional questions from permit writers, industry, environmental groups, and other members of the public, this document will be updated.
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.Proposed Rule
- Federal Register Notice - Notice of Data Availability (NODA) (Print Version (PDF) (67 pp, 426K) (March 19, 2003)
- Deadlines for Phase II & III (November 22, 2002)
- Federal Register Notice - Extension of Comment Period (June 19, 2002)
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pp, 91K)
- Proposed Rule Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pp, 100K) (March 2002)
- Federal Register Notice (April 9, 2002)