You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
This page provides updates and background information regarding Clean Water Act Section 404 Compensatory Mitigation Evaluations.
Additional Evaluations of Compensatory Mitigation
- 2004, Biodiversity Offsets: Views, experience, and the business case, IUCN
- 2002, Banks and Fees: The Status of Off-Site Wetland Mitigation in the United States, Environmental Law Institute.
- 2001, Compensating for Wetland Losses Under the Clean Water Act, National Academy of Sciences
- 2001, Wetlands Protection: Assessments Needed to Determine Effectiveness of In-Lieu-Fee Mitigation, General Accounting Office
- 2000, Wetland Mitigation in the United States: Assessing the Success of Mitigation Policies, Richard F. Ambrose, Wetlands (Australia), 19: 1-27
- 2005, Wetlands in Washington State Volume 1: A Synthesis of the Science. Washington State Department of Ecology Publication #05-06-006.
- 2005, Wetlands in Washington State Volume 2: Guidance for Protecting and Managing Wetlands. Washington State Department of Ecology Publication #05-06-008.
- 2004, An Evaluation of Compensatory Mitigation Projects Permitted Under Clean Water Act Section 401 by the Los Angeles Regional Quality Control Board, 1991-2002, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2004, Integrated Wetland Assessment Program, Part 5: Biogeochemical and Hydrological Investigations of Natural and Mitigation Wetlands, State of Ohio EPA Wetland Ecology Group
- 2003, Success of Corps-Required Mitigation in New England, Paul Minkin & Ruth Ladd, USACE New England District
- 2002, Section 404 Wetland Mitigation and Permit Success Criteria in Pennsylvania, USA, 1986-1999, Cole, Charles Andrew and Deborah Shafer, Environmental Management. 30(4): 508-515.
- 2000 and 2002, Washington State Wetland Mitigation Evaluation Study, Phase 1: Compliance and Phase 2: Evaluating Success, Washington State Department of Ecology
Evaluations of Different Aspects of Mitigation
- 2004, Natural Lands Management: 28 Case Studies, Prepared by the Center for Natural Lands Management for the EPA
- Creating Indicators of Wetland Status (Quantity and Quality): Freshwater Wetland Mitigation in New Jersey