Water: Water Laboratory Alliance (WLA)
Water Laboratory Alliance (WLA)
The Water Laboratory Alliance (WLA) provides the drinking water sector an integrated nationwide network of laboratories with the analytical capability and capacity to respond to intentional and unintentional drinking water contamination events involving chemical, biological, and radiochemical contaminants. The WLA is an integral part of the Environmental Response Laboratory Network (ERLN) that focuses on water.
Formal membership for the WLA was opened in concert with the second phase launch of the ERLN during Fall 2009. As a result of stakeholder interest, the WLA was consolidated into the Integrated Consortium of Laboratory Networks (ICLN).
To learn about plans for inter-laboratory coordination, please contact your EPA Regional Laboratory Contact listed in the "Contact Information" section.
Fact Sheets and Brochures
You will need Adobe Reader to view most of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Water Contaminant Information Tool (WCIT) Update: May 2014 (PDF) (2 pp, 436K)
EPA 817-F-14-001, May 2014
- Water Contaminant Information Tool (WCIT): A Robust Tool for the Water Sector (PDF) (2 pp, 748K)
EPA 817-F-10-016, November 2010
- EPA's Water Laboratory Alliance: A Powerful Resource for State Primacy Agencies (PDF) (2 pp,781K)
EPA 817-F-10-005, April 2010
- Water Laboratory Alliance: Response Plan (PDF) (2 pp, 522K)
EPA 817-F-10-004, January 2010
- Water Laboratory Alliance: A Drinking Water Utility Perspective (PDF) (2 pp, 771K)
EPA 817-F-09-007, November 2009
- Water Laboratory Alliance (PDF) (2 pp, 369K)
EPA 817-F-09-006, November 2009
WLA Tools and ResourcesDocuments
- Continuity of Operations Plan Template for Drinking Water and Wastewater Laboratories (PDF) (23 pp, 834K) This template is helps drinking water and wastewater laboratories create a Continuity of Operations Plan. Use of this template is voluntary.
EPA 817-B-14-007, November 2014
- Fact Sheet for the Continuity of Operations Plan Template for Drinking Water and Wastewater Laboratories (PDF) (2 pp, 244K) This fact sheet provides an overview on the benefits of using the Continuity of Operations Plan Template.
EPA 817-F-14-006, November 2014
- Instructions for Continuity of Operations Plan Template for Drinking Water and Wastewater Laboratories (PDF) (29 pp, 334K) This template is designed to provide broad recommendations that may be useful in preparing for events that may disrupt normal operations of drinking water and wastewater laboratories. Use of this template is voluntary.
EPA 817-B-13-004, November 2013
- Laboratory Resources for the Water Sector to Support Decontamination Activities (PDF) (4 pp, 446K)
This fact sheet addresses how a utility can locate laboratory resources with the capability and capacity to analyze water samples for a wide array of chemical, biological, and radiological contaminants during an incident response.
EPA 817-F-12-003, September 2012
- Water Laboratory Alliance Tool Kit (PDF) (13 pp, 607K)
This resource provides water sector professionals with WLA tools, training opportunities, links to related programs and contacts.
EPA 817-B-12-001, May 2012
- Method 1200: Analytical Protocol for Non-Typhoidal Salmonella in Drinking Water and Surface Water (PDF)
(46 pp, 785K), EPA 817-R-12-004, May 2012
- The Water Laboratory Alliance - Response Plan (PDF) (82 pp, 2MB)
EPA 817-R-10-002, November 2010
- WLA Response Plan Appendix Forms (Word File) (20 pp, 394K)
- Reimbursement Tips for Emergency Laboratory Support (PDF) (2pp, 324K)
EPA 817-F-09-003, August 2009
- Sampling Guidance for Unknown Contaminants in Drinking Water (PDF) (61 pp, 622K)
EPA 817-R-08-003, November 2008
- Water Contaminant Information Tool (WCIT) (PDF) (2 pp,756K)
EPA 817-F-07-001, February 2007
Related Web sites
- Demonstration of NEMI-CBR Methods
- National Drinking Water Rules Training
- Water Sector Incident Command System Training
- WLA Training Center
- FEMA Emergency Management Performance Grant (EMPG)
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HGMP)
- FEMA Infrastructure Protection Program (IPP)
- FEMA Public Assistance Grant Program
- WLA Team Leader - Latisha Mapp (firstname.lastname@example.org); ( 202) 564-1390
- EPA Regional Laboratory Directors
- CDC Laboratory Response Network (CDC)
- EPA Drinking Water Analytical Methods and Laboratory Certification
- EPA Environmental Response Laboratory Network (ERLN)
- EPA Standardized Analytical Methods (SAM)
- EPA Test Method Collections
- Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)