Water: Tools and Technical Assistance
Water Health and Economic Analysis Tool (WHEAT)
EPA, in collaboration with partners, developed the Water Health and Economic Analysis Tool (WHEAT) version 3.0 to assist drinking water and wastewater utility owners and operators in quantifying human health and economic consequences for a variety of scenarios that pose a significant risk to the water sector. WHEAT is a generalized, threat-neutral consequence analysis tool designed to be used by utilities to supplement their expert opinion in risk assessment methods by providing a more detailed consequence analysis. WHEAT 3.0 supports consequence analyses for three scenarios:
1) Loss of one or more assets,
2) Release of a stored hazardous gas, and
3) Intentional contamination of a drinking water distribution system.
- WHEAT Version 3.0: Consequence Analysis Tool for Water Utilities Factsheet (PDF) (2 pp, 451K, About PDF) EPA 817-F-14-003, May 2014
- WHEAT Version 3.0: Quick Reference Guide (PDF) (6 pp, 1MB, About PDF)
EPA 817-F-14-004, May 2014
The system requirements to install and run WHEAT include:
- Microsoft (MS) Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- Microsoft Excel 2007 or later to enable viewing of the WHEAT output reports. If you have Excel 2003, you can install the Microsoft compatibility pack to enable report viewing (see step 5 below)
- A screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or higher
- At least 150 MB of free hard drive space, and 1 GB of RAM
- Installation on your local drive (it cannot be installed on a network drive)
- Internet connection needed
To Install WHEAT:
- Double-click on the file "wheat3.exe" to start the setup wizard.
- Follow the prompts and click "Next" to move to the next screen in the wizard.
- The second screen will prompt the user to install WHEAT in the default location "C:\Program Files\WHEAT."
This location can be changed (for instance, if the local drive is partitioned and is assigned a different letter), but the location cannot be changed to a network drive
- Continue through the wizard, click "Install".
- After the installation, the wizard will alert users to the need to install MS Office Compatibility Pack
if the user has a version of MS Excel prior to 2007. The compatibility pack must be installed
prior to viewing output reports, but does not need to be installed immediately after WHEAT installation.
The compatibility pack is available from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en