Water: Tools and Technical Assistance
Vulnerability Self Assessment Tool (VSAT) 6.0
EPA developed the Vulnerability Self-Assessment Tool (VSAT) to assist water and wastewater utilities of all sizes with determining vulnerabilities to both man-made and natural hazards and with evaluating potential improvements to enhance their security and resiliency.
- EPA has designed VSAT 6.0 to be consistent with the ANSI/AWWA J100-10 Risk Analysis and Management for Critical Asset Protection (RAMCAP®)Standard for Risk and Resilience Management of Water and Wastewater Systems. To meet this standard, VSAT 6.0 includes quantitative risk and resilience metrics, asset prioritization and a new threat category to assess interdependencies.
- VSAT 6.0 is easier to use. To assist small systems and new users in building an assessment, VSAT now includes a New Analysis Wizard with abbreviated lists and default assignments for common utility assets, countermeasures, and threats. Plus, data from earlier assessments made with SEMS (Security and Emergency Management System) can be imported directly into VSAT.
As stated in the 2013 National Infrastructure Protection Plan, “The national effort to strengthen critical infrastructure security and resilience depends on the ability of critical infrastructure owners and operators to make risk-informed decisions when allocating limited resources.” Accordingly, EPA strongly encourages water and wastewater utility owners and operators to use VSAT 6.0 to conduct or update an all-hazards risk assessment.SAFETY Act Designation for VSAT 6.0
The Department of Homeland Security has approved a Block Designation for risk assessments performed using VSAT 6.0 under the Support Anti-Terrorism by Fostering Effective Technologies (SAFETY) Act. Entities using VSAT 6.0 to conduct risk assessments of water, wastewater, or combined utilities may apply for SAFETY Act protections, which can limit liability for claims resulting from an act of terrorism. Please see the “Block Designation” list on https://www.safetyact.gov/ for additional information and application instructions.
Interested in VSAT 6.0 Training?
Click on the Training tab above to access Basic and Advanced training videos.
To run VSAT 6.0, the following minimum system hardware and software requirements must be met:
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
- 1024 x 768 pixels minimum screen resolution
- Microsoft Word 2003 and Excel 2003 or later (necessary to generate reports)
Note: It is highly recommended that users go to the Microsoft website and download the most current updates for their operating system.
Welcome to VSAT 6.0 Training!
Please watch our "Welcome Video", then select Basic or Advanced training videos below.
The following links will take you to an external website.