Water: Tools and Technical Assistance
Vulnerability Self Assessment Tool (VSAT)
VSAT is a risk assessment software tool for water, wastewater, and combined utilities of all sizes. The tool assists drinking water and wastewater owners and operators in performing security threats and natural hazards risk assessments, as well as updating utility Emergency Response Plans. EPA, in collaboration with Water Sector partners, has updated VSAT to be consistent with the 2007 Risk Analysis and Management for Critical Asset Protection framework. The upgraded tool includes a new user-interface, an enhanced natural disaster threat assessment process, and a revised risk assessment approach. VSAT 5.0 software will provide the following benefits:
- An intuitive process with improved navigation and enhanced work tracking features;
- An improved analytical approach that will make consequence, vulnerability, and likelihood of occurrence assessments of threats more transparent; and
- A natural disaster assessment process supported by historical information to enable likelihood determinations.
To run VSAT, the following minimum system hardware and software requirements must be met:
- IBM PC compatible processor
- 1 GB of RAM (2 GB recommended)
- 250 MB of available Hard Disk Space
- Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP SP3, or Microsoft Windows 7
- 1024 x 768 pixels minimum screen resolution
- Microsoft Word 2003 and Excel 2003 or later (necessary to generate reports)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
Note: It is highly recommended that users go to the Microsoft website and download the most current updates for their operating system.