Water: Tools and Technical Assistance
Community-Based Water Resiliency (CBWR) Tool
The Community-Based Water Resiliency (CBWR) Tool (version 2.0) is an easy way to assess your community's current resiliency to water service interruptions and learn about tools and resources that can be used to enhance resiliency.
The main component of the tool is the self assessment, which provides users with questions tailored to their stakeholder group and culminates in a summary report. The report provides suggestions and recommended resources for enhancing community preparedness and resiliency. Users can then navigate to the CBWR toolbox, where they can find more than 400 tools and resources.
Version 2.0 includes a new feature, the Water Resiliency Action Plan (WRAP) Kit. The WRAP Kit guides users through a step-by-step process for planning and hosting a community meeting or workshop on water emergencies. It includes everything you need, from sample agendas and invitations, to suggested planning committee members and participants, to logistical templates and scripts for recruiting participants.
EPA 817-C-11-001, February 2011
To run the CBWR electronic tool, the following minimum system hardware and software requirements must be met:
- IBM PC, 2.33GHz Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD Athlon® 64 2800+, or faster processor
- 512MB of RAM
- 600MB of available Hard Disk Space
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3; or Windows 7
- 800 x 600 pixels minimum screen resolution
- Adobe Reader 8.0 or later
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer (v7 or higher), Mozilla Firefox® v3.6, Safari 4, Google Chrome v4.1, or Opera v10.5
*Note: It is highly recommended that users go to the Microsoft website and download the most current updates for their operating system.
*Please Note:The tool download is 554MB; we recommend using a broadband Web connection.
Extracting the CBWR electronic tool from the ZIP file
- Locate the CBWR Tool.zip file on your local hard drive.
- Right click the CBWR Tool.zip file, select [WinZip], and choose either [Extract to…] or [Extract to here].
- If you wish to select the location to which the CBWR electronic tool package will be extracted, use [Extract to…] and proceed to Step 3.
- If you wish to select the current location as the location to which the CBWR electronic tool package will be extracted, use [Extract to here] and proceed to Running the CBWR electronic tool.
- Select the location to which you would like the CBWR Tool package to be extracted.
Running the CBWR electronic tool
- Once the extraction operation is complete, navigate to the location to which you extracted the files.
- Double click the “CBWRTool.exe” file, and wait for the installation procedures to begin.