Participants in the Area-Wide Optimization Program (AWOP)
The Area-Wide Optimization Program (AWOP) is a unique partnership among EPA, State agencies, and supporting organizations that fosters the continued development and implementation of the program. They include:
- EPA Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water, Standards and Risk Management Division, Technical Support Center (TSC) Cincinnati, OH: leads the development and implementation of AWOP activities nation-wide and helps sustain the network of participating states and water systems.
- Association of State Drinking Water Administrators (ASDWA): supports and advocates the implementation of AWOP within existing (and potential) state drinking water programs.
- EPA Regions 3, 4, 6, and 10: use AWOP to support direct implementation responsibilities, sustain the AWOP by facilitating state implementation, and support the development of new optimization approaches.
- States: as of January 2014, 23 states were implementing AWOP, facilitated by one of the four participating EPA regions.
- EPA Drinking Water Protection Division (Washington, DC): supports the integration of AWOP into Capacity Development, technical assistance programs, and regulatory implementation and compliance strategies.
The map above shows the 23 states that were participating in AWOP, as of January 2014. They are colored according to their EPA regional AWOP, with two states indicated as currently being inactive in AWOP and four states being interested in AWOP – Colorado, Delaware, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. The participants include: Region 3 AWOP - Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Connecticut (participates in the Region 3 AWOP since Region 1 doesn't participate); Region 4 AWOP - Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia (currently inactive in AWOP); Region 6 AWOP - Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa (participates in the Region 6 AWOP since Region 7 doesn’t have an AWOP), and New Mexico; Region 10 AWOP - Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Utah (participates in the Region 10 AWOP since Region 8 doesn’t participate), and Idaho (currently inactive).
Learn more about becoming involved.