Water: Clean Water Financing
Water Pollution Control Program Grants (Section 106)
Section 106 of the Clean Water Act authorizes EPA to provide federal assistance to states (including territories, the District of Columbia, and Indian Tribes) and interstate agencies to establish and implement ongoing water pollution control programs.
Prevention and control measures supported by pollution control programs include permitting, development of water quality standards and total maximum daily loads, surveillance, ambient water quality monitoring, and enforcement; advice and assistance to local agencies; and the provision of training and public information.
Increasingly, EPA and states are working together to develop basin-wide approaches to water quality management. The Water Pollution Control Program is helping to foster a watershed protection approach at the state level by looking at states' water quality problems holistically, and targeting the use of limited finances available for effective program management. At present, the program is seeking ways to streamline the grants process to ease the administrative burden on states.
- Guidance on the use of Associated Program Support Costs by the Pollution Control (Section 106) Program for States, Interstates and Tribes (PDF) (4 pp, 1MB, About PDF) - This guidance provides the National and Regional Section 106 Program Managers with direction and procedures for the appropriate use of Section 106 grant funding for associated program support.
- Use of Associated Program Support Costs (APSC) Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (3 pp, 865K, About PDF) - This Document provides answers to commonly asked questions on implementing associated program support costs.
State Water Quality Grant Guidance
- FY 2011 Grant Guidance to States and Interstate Agencies is included in the FY 2011 National Water Program Guidance (NWPG). The State Section 106 guidance begins on page 16 of the NWPG.
- FY 2010 Grant Guidance to States and Interstate Agencies is included in the FY 2010 National Water Program Guidance. The State Section 106 guidance begins on page 13 of the NWPG.
- Memorandum: Section 106 Allocation for FY 2010 (PDF) (3pp, 722K), from James A. Hanlon, Director, Office of Wastewater Management to EPA Regional Water Division Directors, March 23, 2010. This memorandum provides guidance for the supplemental funding provided for permitting and enforcement activities.
- Memorandum: Section 106 Allocation for FY 2010 - Supplemental Guidance (PDF) (3pp, 842K), from James A. Hanlon, Director, Office of Wastewater Management to EPA Regional Water Division Directors, June 7, 2010. This memorandum provides additional guidance for the supplemental funding provided for permitting and enforcement activities.
- Final CWA S106 State & Interstate Guidance: FY 2007 + (PDF) (15pp, 71K)
- Performance Measures for the CWA Section 106 PART Review
- FY2005 CWA S106 Priorities (PDF) (9pp, 234K)
- FY2001 CWA S106 Grant Guidance (PDF) (53pp, 369K)
Tribal Water Quality Grant Guidance
- Final CWA Sec. 106 Tribal Grant Guidance: FY 2007 + This final Guidance provides a framework for awarding and administering grants to federally recognized Tribes under Section 106 of the Clean Water Act for fiscal year 2007 and future years.
- CWA S106 Tribal Grant Guidance for FY2000 and Future Years (PDF) (35pp, 299K)
- Appendix A: Protecting Public Health and Water Resources In Indian Country, A Strategy for EPA/Tribal Partnership (PDF) (25pp, 76K)
- Appendix B: Establishing and Maintaining Administrative Records for EPA Determinations on Tribal Eligibility for Regulatory Programs (PDF) (6pp, 1014K)
- Appendix C: Final Framework for Unified Watershed Assessments, Restoration Priorities, and Restoration Action Strategies (PDF) (36pp, 2525K)
- Appendix D: Interim Guidance on Cost Sharing/Match Requirements for Tribal Section 106 Grants (PDF) (4pp, 15K)
- Appendix E: NPDES and Sewage Sludge Program Authority (PDF) ( 30pp, 3196K)
- Appendix F: OECA Final FY 2000/2001 Memorandum of Agreement Guidance (PDF) (43pp, 3224K)
- Tribal Water Quality Programs: Using Clean Water Act Section 106 Funding to Protect Water Resources - 2009 Status Report (PDF) (36pp, 4.7MB)
- Permit Fee Rule
- Allotment Formula for Clean Water Act Section 106 Funds; Amendment (Monitoring Initiative)
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view a number of Adobe PDF documents. Click here to read About Portable Document Format Files.