Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Water: Private Wells


Several sources of technical assistance are available to help you with your private wells issues and to protect your water supply: Exit EPA Disclaimer

  • The Water Systems Council, a nonprofit organization solely focused on individual wells and other well-based systems, recently opened a hotline for well owners partially funded by a grant from the U.S. EPA.
    • Well owners with questions about wells and well water can call the hotline at 1-888-395-1033.

  • Farm*A*Syst/Home*A*Syst, provides fact sheets and worksheets to help farmers and rural residents assess pollution risks and develop management plans geared toward their circumstances. For example, Farm*A*Syst helps farmers and ranchers identify pollution risks from nitrates, microbes, and toxic chemicals. Home*A*Syst reaches homeowners who face pollution risks from faulty septic systems, pesticide use, petroleum leaks, and hazardous waste disposal.

  • American Ground Water Trust, a non-profit education organization providing information to the well owner.

  • National Ground Water Association's Wellowner.org, providing information to consumers on ground water and water wellls through wellowner.org.

  • American Water Works Association, an international nonprofit scientific and educational society dedicated to the improvement of drinking water quality and supply. 

  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has information on private drinking water wells and your health. 

  • Ground Water Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and motivating people to care for and about ground water. 

  • National Drinking Water Clearinghouse, a public service organization that collects, develops, and distributed timely drinking water-related information. Sponsored through the US Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service. 

  • National Association of Counties, is the only national organization representing county government. In the top-right Search bar, type in "wells" to find info. 

  • Local health departments and agricultural extension agents can also provide general technical assistance. They can be found under the "government" or "health" listings in your phone book.

Among EPA's publications that may help you is the detailed Manual of Individual and Non-public Water Supply Systems (PDF) (196 pp, 8MB, About PDF) EPA 570/9-91-004.

EPA's Safe Drinking Water Hotline also provides access to publications and technical assistance over the phone at (800) 426-4791. Hotline staff may be able to direct you to sources of state and local assistance.

Jump to main content.