Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Water: Adopt Your Watershed


EPA has several programs that can help with problems associated with Abandoned Mines, but does not have a funding program dedicated specifically to abandoned mine issues. Contact the programs below for more information on how they might apply.

Office of Water

Nonpoint source program
Clean Water Act Section 319(h) funds from EPA are provided to designated state and tribal agencies to implement their approved nonpoint source management programs. The state and tribal programs make funding and program management decisions according to EPA guidance.

Nonpoint Source Program - http://www.epa.gov/nps/

Targeted Watershed Grant Program
The Targeted Watersheds Grant Program is a highly competitive grant program designed to encourage successful community-based approaches and management techniques to protect and restore the nation's waters. Nomination for implementation grants must be made by State Governors or Tribal Leaders. Twelve grants for watershed improvements were awarded in 2005, some of which will improve areas impacted by abandoned mines.

Targeted Watershed Grant Program - http://www.epa.gov/owow/watershed/initiative/

Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response

Brownfields Program
Brownfields are real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant.

Brownfields Program - http://www.epa.gov/brownfields

Specific funding programs under the Brownfields Program - http://www.epa.gov/brownfields/applicat.htm


Jump to main content.